Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'65 Air Cleaner - How do you ID the correct one?

65tripleblk

I am in the final stages of restoring a '65 vette and am having trouble identifing which air cleaner is the correct type to top off the carb. The car is a late '65 convertable with a 327/350under the hood.

I seem to keep seeing three distinctly different types of air cleaner units:
-Chrome fully enclosed unit
-Chrome top and bottom w/ exposed element
-Chrome top w/ black bottom & dual snorkles

Is there any way to tell which is the correct model for my year?

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.

-Greg

'65 327/350 air cleaner

The right one had a chrome lid, an exposed element, and a black base. The sticker should say turbo fire 327 350 horsepower.
All the high horsepower units (350-365 h.p.) looked like that. The 396/425 was painted black with the same type exposed element, (just F.Y.I.). Hope this helps.
Joe

re. '65 327/350 air cleaner

Thanks Wagoneer! I'm trying to get her ready for her first showing and this is the last piece to the puzzle.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to a "newbie" it is truly appreciated.

-Greg

The 327/365 (L-76) had a unique air cleaner; heavy-gauge chrome base and lid, with rectangular openings on both sides at the rear.

I may be wrong John, but it seems to me that the '65 350 horse also used the air cleaner you just discribed. I have a friend that ordered a new '65 350 hp and that air cleaner was one of the things that really caught my eye.

Tom

Good catch, Tom - that heavy-gauge chrome air cleaner with the openings at the rear (used on '64-'65 L-76 engines) was one-year-only usage (1965) on the L-79; in '66-'67, the L-79 used the same full open-element painted-base chrome-top air cleaner as the base 300hp engine.

Quite amzing, isn't it? Now if I could just remember where I layed my extra eyeglasses a couple days ago. :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom