Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

65 project progress

John Mcgraw

Corvette
1960 Roman red, 1959 resto-rod, 1965 resto-rod
Got the gills finished up, re-hung the doors, set the door gaps, and then moved the Body back to the rotissere and re-shimmed it. Spent all day yesterday working the door fit, and after almost 10 hours of work, I am pleased with them. The car had been through at least 2 repaints, and had been DA'ed to death! All the door edges and body lines had been rounded off pretty bad. Worked them with with bonding compound and an air file, until they are nice and crisp.

Drug the chassis out onto the drive today and sandblasted it in preparation for taking it down to the powder coater. It was miserable working under the hood in almost 90 degree weather, but it did not take that long to knock it out.

All in all, a good weekend, and it sure is nice seeing it starting to look like a Corvette again. With luck, it should be ready for gelcoat in another 2 weeks or so, if I don't get sidetracked.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1660210

Regards, John McGraw

looking good!!!

I'm impressed! Certainly looking fine! :upthumbs

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

You know I am starting to feel guilty, All you guys working on projects and I sat on the couch today napping.

I dont miss the sandblasting part, the taste of sand in your mouth. trying to get the fine grit out of your ears.

Keep up the great work

I could send you my '59 and a list of what I want done. :D

:L

Well actually I wasn't thinking of going quite that far with it. I'm going for more of a vintage racer look.

Tom

geez Larry, a little anxious to work on another car are you??

hmmmmm, if you are that anxious you can come down and help me finish up my car......... :D

BarryK said:
geez Larry, a little anxious to work on another car are you??

hmmmmm, if you are that anxious you can come down and help me finish up my car......... :D
or help me on mine.....I am going to need body help in the very near future.....

Hi! John

The progress looks GREAT! I am looking forward to following you progress. Keep the pictures coming.

Ray :upthumbs

John the 65 body looks great and so does the tube frame. How is that '59 doing. Is it completely done or are you still tinkering with it?

studiog said:
John the 65 body looks great and so does the tube frame. How is that '59 doing. Is it completely done or are you still tinkering with it?

It is all done. I have been driving it almost every day lately. In Austin, you have to make use of these nice days while you have them, because it will soon be so blistering hot, that it is not enjoyable to drive in. Took the 59 to work today, and even though it was a little cool going in this morning, it was beautiful coming home! I have to drag my flatbed trailer home from work tomorrow so I can haul my chassis to San Antonio Friday, so I will just have to take my truck to work tomorrow. Luckily, I park in a secured part of the parking garage in one of my buildings, and I have installed a camera looking right at my parking spot, and I have it monitored at the security desk. I would never leave it in an unsecured parking area for more than a few minutes. I stoped at the Home depot for a couple of items on the way home, and I had a group of people clustered around my car when I came out. Driving this car is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on, and I am looking forward to getting the 65 on the road as well.

Regards, John McGraw

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom