I just replaced the wiring harness on my 65 under the hood. After replacement, I connected my battery and bumped the engine over. Everything looked ok. I then replaced the battery because it was three years old and a little weak. When I reconnected the cables to the new battery, I noticed a spark between the cable and the terminal (indicates voltage pull on battery). The next second, I saw smoke from my new alternator red wire. I disconnected the battery immediately. I did some checking and saw the ignition switch was in the "on" position. I'm kind of lost on this. I have the factory wiring diagram and I took plenty of time to install it correctly. I also installed a new voltage regulator, capacitor and regulator ground strap as well as a new alternator. So, with the old battery, I was ok, no smoke. With the new battery, I melted the insulation on the red wire to the alternator. Does anyone have a place I should troubleshoot this? I know the ignition switch should not have been "on" but that should not have caused the problem.