Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'66 radio - AM/FM indicator colors?

alps66

Corvette
1966 milano maroon 427/390
I'm looking to replace the aftermarket radio in my '66 with a correct AM/FM. I've checked the archives here and on NCRS and the more I look into this radio stuff, the more confused I get. I need some clarification on some conflicting info regarding the color indicators behind the AM/FM bar.
MF Dobbins notes that green and red indicators were present from '63-'65 (but nothing is specified about '66 or '67s).
Noland Adams' indicates that the red and green were phased out after the early '65s (consistently somewhere after VIN 106768). He notes that later '65s, '66s and '67s had black backgrounds.
The '66 NCRS judging guide says that green and red are okay, but so is black.
willy_nilly.gif

This leads me to believe that black might be correct for a '66 (and in the grand scheme of the world, who in their right mind would even care??
ack2.gif
)
Nonetheless, I would be most grateful if anyone with an original '66 radio could check and let me know.
Thanks!

Hey there, alps66,
I've owned a '67 2-top roadster since new, but when I ordered it, I ordered radio-delete to offset the optional side exhaust and headrests. Anyway, in the early 70s, I decided I needed a radio and managed to get one out of a wrecked '66 coupe that belonged to a friend. I checked my stored car this morning, knowing I could answer your question. The '66 radio AM/FM indicator colors are definitely WHITE letters on a BLACK background.
Hope

Hey there, alps66,
I've owned a '67 2-top roadster since new, but when I ordered it, I ordered radio-delete to offset the optional side exhaust and headrests. Anyway, in the early 70s, I decided I needed a radio and managed to get one out of a wrecked '66 coupe that belonged to a friend. I checked my stored car this morning, knowing I could answer your question. The '66 radio AM/FM indicator colors are definitely WHITE letters on a BLACK background.
Hope this helps with your project

67c2ny said:
Hey there, alps66,
...The '66 radio AM/FM indicator colors are definitely WHITE letters on a BLACK background.

67c2ny
That's pretty much what I had deduced, and on a leap of faith, I landed one on e-bay the other night for $160. I'm assuming that it's not in working order and that I'll have to have it rebuilt. But since reconditioned ones seem to go for upwards of $500, I have some wiggle room to get it right. On the other hand, I may test it and get lucky, but that's not how things usually work for me. :ugh
Much thanks for checking and increasing my comfort level!

Ken Anderson said:
Actually they are green/green
Just when I thought I had it all figured out...
Ken
Do you mean (I hope) that the AM and FM letters light up a pale green? My understanding is that the AM and FM letters are backlit on a black background from very early '65 through '67. Prior to '65, the AM background itself was green and the FM background was red.
(I still can't believe that an otherwise rational person would even worry about this... Uh, oh, I may be having a revelation! :L )
Cheers!

The AM and FM letters in the (original) radio in my '67 are light green in a black background. :)

JohnZ said:
The AM and FM letters in the (original) radio in my '67 are light green in a black background. :)

John
Didn't expect you to chime in on something this technical! :L
Thanks for confirming!
Jeff

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom