Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

68 Big Block - Headlight Vacuum Saga

68BigBlock

Corvette
1968 Corvette Coupe- 427/390
;help Recently completed engine overhaul and engine bay "revamp" from firewall to bumpers -- installed engine back in car and tweaking everything to get car back on road.

Having problems with headlights not operating correctly. Have read all links and printed/ reviewed most vacuum line articles and "how to" material showing hose routing, filter and check valve use/ importance, etc. etc. Believe I have all vacuum lines routed properly -- again, believe them to be. Also installed new vacuum tank while engine was out -- old one would not hold vacuum.

Here's my issue: Headlights are in the "open" position and nothing I have been able to do thus far will move them down using vacuum system. Prior to vacuum tank replacement, I had bypassed the vacuum tank completely and everything worked properly. Can do that again, but prefer to make use of tank as system originally designed.

1. Where do I start-- what do I need to look for?
2. What is the "normal" position for the headlights on the '68 model--- some of the material I have read indicate the '68 may be different than other C3 later models.

Thanks in advance.....:confused

...Headlights are in the "open" position and nothing I have been able to do thus far will move them down using vacuum system...

Is the override under the steering column open?

...some of the material I have read indicate the '68 may be different than other C3 later models....

Not really. Headlight doors were three different sizes during '68 production with the final design being the same as 69-82. The door size running changes did not affect operation (raising/lowering).

Correct hose color and routing is in the 68 assembly instruction manual (AIM), but Willcox makes things a little easier.
VACUUMHOSEROUTE70-72.jpg

68s will have only one relay under the nose with tees for the actuator supply lines and will not have the wiper arm switch.

:thumb

Is the override under the steering column open? --NO it is not. Tried putting vacuum directly to the actuators (on each assembly) themselves and both headlights close with no problem.

Mike-- thanks for the schematic. Agree that is a good one --I had previously gotten that same one from Willcox

Same Problem

I posted on the General Discussion forum with the same problem, except it only affects the right h/l. Did you ever figure out why your headlights wouldn't go down?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom