Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

68 convert w/chambered undercar exhaust

brumbach

Corvette
1965 convertible
I just installed undercar chambered exhaust that I purchased from Mid-America. No instructions came with the system but how hard can it be? The exhaust to tail pipe connection doesn't look right. They set too low in the rear panel. I thought maybe I had the two end pieces reserved, so I changed them out. Solved the problem but created another. Now they angle inward. Any thoughts? If anyone has the same system installed on your 68 and wouldn't mind snapping a picture of the rearend would be nice.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,
Have same setup on mine.....PM me and I will snap a picture tomorrow....too dark right now.

Cee

I put a set under my '75 this past summer and had to cut and weld the forward ends to fit up square with the headers. Going through the tunnel was a bear to get alignment with the angle to the headers and the small area in the cross-member. Ended up with about a 1/4" clearance on one side of each tube. Mine came out under the rear spring the same as above, but again, only had about a 1/4" clearance. Had to tweak everything to keep the system from rattling at an idle. Well worth all the time spent...can't beat the sound of chambered exhaust at 130!!! :D

"...Any thoughts? If anyone has the same system installed on your 68 and wouldn't mind snapping a picture of the rearend would be nice...."

Bill,

I have the same system on my '69 (pics attached). It should be the same for the '68.

Ralph

on my previous 76' i had the chambered exhaust and i absolutely loved it! the only concern about purchasing another one is that I will get stopped by the police as my previous could be heard from miles away. Anyone recommend the next notch down? currently im looking at hooker side exhausts....

on my previous 76' i had the chambered exhaust and i absolutely loved it! the only concern about purchasing another one is that I will get stopped by the police as my previous could be heard from miles away. Anyone recommend the next notch down? currently im looking at hooker side exhausts....
Andy,

Hooker sidepipes... nice, but costly. A lower cost alternative would be some good glasspacks.

The ad in Summit for the Dynomax Thrush Magnum glasspack mufflers states they ".... give you maximum flow without annoying the sound police..."
Summit also has an H-Pipe that has been widely discussed in this forum. The H-pipe will help maximize your low end torque - also equalize and reduce (somewhat) the loud "pulse" noise from each firing cylinder.

The two glass packs and the H-pipe would cost you about 80 bucks.

Here are the links to Summit...
WLK-24214 Dynomax Thrush Magnum Glasspack Mufflers:
SUM-642025 Summit Balance Tube Kits:
Sure you could find these elsewhere... I'm just a huge fan of Summit - they've really been great to me, with the fastest shipping around!

:w
Ralph

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom