Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

72 rear spring spacer ?

EYESOFTEX

Corvette
1972 Corvette (C3) LT1
Hello All , Took off my old Rear spring That I broke a few weeks Ago, And I found a one inch spacer between the rear end & the spring . Got my new spring from rik`s today, And I don`t know if it is just something put in there to make the rear end taller or ?. It does not look to be factory . I tryed bolting the spring up to the rear end , but the two bolts towards the front of the rear end bottom out , in other words there to long they will not tighten up . sorry i do not have a picture , but its a one inch of metal thats been cut with a cutting torch it does not look factory . Thanks to all if you can help me ....Rex

I just replaced the spring on the 77. No spacer there. I don't know where you got your spring from but mine came with the spring, four center bolts and washers, hear shield and four end bolts with hardware. No spacer.

The spring bolted right to the differential. The plate when over the bottom of the screen and the four bolts went through the plate around the spring and directly into the differential. The instructions recomended torquing in an x-pattern to 15, then 30 and finally 50 on the center bolts.

Definitely not factory - a previous owner installed it to alter the rear ride height, and used non-factory extra-long bolts.
:beer

Springs

Thanks , got rid of the spacer. spring works fine , sits up nice to . I got the long bolts for better ajustment. Must have been something someone use for height on the old spring. Thanks Rex

There has been a lot of discussion on those long bolts at the other forum, possibly related to safety should you get a flat tire. I don't know how true it us but I walked away from the post with the feeling that I would only use as long a bolt as necessary to get the ride height where it needed to be and if I had a couple of inches hanging below the spring, I would buy the shorter bolt.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom