Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

74 454 idler pulley

74 454

Corvette
1974 Brown Coupe 454 4-speed
Any better solutions to the extra belt nearest to the block that just goes around the crank and water pump pulleys with the idler to adjust? These idler pulleys just wear out or the belt wears out at high RPM's. Does the pump and fan need the 3rd belt, or will it squeak at high RPM's. The owner before me re-routed the belt from inboard to outboard of the idler pulley, but used a custom pulley. That just wore out! Anyone try using a smaller belt just the right size to go around the water pump and crank pulleys only? Get rid of that idler. The belt will wrap about 50% of each pulley and it might not need to be very tite. All the previous owners had continuous issues with this.

Any better solutions to the extra belt nearest to the block that just goes around the crank and water pump pulleys with the idler to adjust? These idler pulleys just wear out or the belt wears out at high RPM's. Does the pump and fan need the 3rd belt, or will it squeak at high RPM's. The owner before me re-routed the belt from inboard to outboard of the idler pulley, but used a custom pulley. That just wore out! Anyone try using a smaller belt just the right size to go around the water pump and crank pulleys only? Get rid of that idler. The belt will wrap about 50% of each pulley and it might not need to be very tite. All the previous owners had continuous issues with this.
That baring is replaceable!!There just standard alternator bearings,but you need to get the # off the bearing!!! Most of them are about $5.00 a piece,but I had one on a C5 of cruzer99's last week that was a Heavy Truck alt bearing and it was $34.00 at napa!! My usual parts store ($24.00)was out of stock of them and we had his car down!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom