Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 Dilemma

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
Here's my dilemma! Saving for my next project and I could crack the original L48 motor on my 79 and replace the intake manifold, lifters and cam. Maybe do the side yokes also. Or square away the interior like the seats, speakers, steering column, trim, etc. Sounds like a no brainer but there is nothing wrong with the motor. Carb and tranny has been rebuilt. New headers and chambered exhaust installed. It runs fine. The interior could use some help though. It really is all personal preference and I like most of you want more power under the hood. What would you all do if you had the choice? :)

Your are right in that it's all about personal choice, but since you asked; I would go for the interior work. My opinion is that while its nice to have that extra HP most of us want to have a nice looking car and the interior is where you spend your time.

I did my interior this winter and also would like more power, but the engine runs like new so the HP route isn't that high on the priority list.

:w
"...Saving for my next project and I could crack the original L48 motor on my 79 and replace the intake manifold, lifters and cam. Maybe do the side yokes also. Or square away the interior..."

Jeff,

If your engine is running fine and it sounds good... (I'm sure the chambered exhaust turns some heads!), I would do the interior and hold off on the engine rebuild. Get the comfort of a new interior and if needed, get all the intsruments in working order.

You know, after I completed my engine, tranny and suspension rebuild, it was a huge thrill to have the power under foot. HOWEVER... to me, my interior looked like garbage and it was even embarrassing - in reality, it probably was not that bad... but everything being relative, it was bad compared to my bright and shiny mill. After I got home from last year's Corvettes at Carlisle, and seeing all the beautiful Vettes - I completely stripped out my interior (and glass and trim).

I believe I finally got all my dash wiring fixed and am in the process of replacing the seat covers/cushions, dash, carpets, etc. To me, this project has been much more of a PIA than the engine.

If painting is in your plans, I would do the engine rebuild before getting it painted. There's too much of a risk to damage the new paint while removing and replacing the engine and power train.

Ralph

:w

You guy's so far are confirming my initial gut feeling. Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to Carlisle. It will be my first one!!!

Mine's not a C3, but at almost 200K miles.....

I would have to say the same thing...if the drive train is in good condition then I'd go after the interior if it needs it. I'm kindof in that boat now...engine 'n trans are (finally!) working quite nicely ('side from a leaking water pump), but the interior and paint look like crap. It's fun to go fast, but kinda embarassing to have a passenger....

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom