Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'80 Horn Cap/Emblem Retainer broke

Evolution1980

Administrator
Corvette
ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
When I swapped out my steering wheel, the 3 tops layers split apart.

From the top in, there's the metal cap, the plastic emblem insert, then a alumnium 'clip' or 'plate' that mounts up behind the emblem. These three pieces used to attach to the 'pronged' clip that snaps into the horn actuator assm.

Now, there are three guide hollow post on the back of the top cap that align the cap, emblem, backing plate, and pronged clip. It seems that the this was all secured my melting plastic through these guide holes to keep it all in place. My plastic went brittle and broke.

What do I need to order to get it all secured again? If I'm not making any sense here, I'll post pics of what I'm looking at.
I tried to use Ecklers and Corvette Central as 'parts guides', but none of it seemed exactly like the pieces I've got.

GM Part # 3949103 sounds what you are looking for.I am on vacation this week or I would price it out for you.I sell alot of those contacts.

GM Part # 3949103 sounds what you are looking for.I am on vacation this week or I would price it out for you.I sell alot of those contacts.

For a second, I thought you were talking about the horn contact assembly. It's always falling apart due to the 3 very cheap plastic rivets GM uses in there.

But I'm pretty sure you're talking about the actual horn button (the thing you see). Epoxy should hold those parts together very nicely!

On my cap, there was some electrical tape between the ring clip and the rest of the horn button. I think this was done to prevent stray honking...

page62 said:
For a second, I thought you were talking about the horn contact assembly. It's always falling apart due to the 3 very cheap plastic rivets GM uses in there.

But I'm pretty sure you're talking about the actual horn button (the thing you see). Epoxy should hold those parts together very nicely!

Exactly...those three shoddy plastic rivets. Those hold the three pieces on to that clip/snap in piece. How would a person replace those if they wanted to replace the emblem? Sounds kinda like a stupid setup to me. Especially using plastic rivets on something that normally gets hit pretty hard when it's used ("slamming on the horn"). I'll give the epoxy a shot. I don't know why I didnt' think of that...duh!!!! :eyerole

Evolution,

Did yours have a paper spacer between the pieces? My 77 had the same problem, the plastic rivets wore out and I thought about just using epoxy but I wonder why the paper spacer was there in the first place. Was it to keep the horn from shorting?

If you need the plastic rivets, you can order them from zip for like $3. I don't have the part number but you can just call them and tell them what you need.

Russ

77-4speed said:
Did yours have a paper spacer between the pieces?

No, I guess they ''upgraded' sometime between 78 and 80 :D
it goes:
Cap
Emblem
aluminum spacer (paper thin)
clip/snap-in pronged dohickey

Evolution,

Check out this page:

http://store.yahoo.com/zipproducts/...umn-69-82-tilt---tele-column-horn-button.html

Everything you need should be there or in the steering components section.

I am going to try to attach a picture as well.

Russ

PS

Maybe you could do me a favor. I am having a bear of a time getting my column back together. Is there any way you could take a couple pics of yours while it is apart so I might know the correct order. Specifically, the little rod and spring that the horn contact hits. I can't figure out what order that thing goes together.

Thanks

Sure... I can grab some pics tonight. I planned to go out and fuss with my seatback cushion as well. When I decide to to take a break from all of my cussing from trying to get the cushion to hook the clips, I'll snap some pics of the column. I'm assuming, since you have the spring, you have tilt/tele.

Yup tilt/tele. I can't find a good exploded view of the column anywhere. When I got the car a got a bag of steering column parts. I do think I have all the parts except the same rivets you need. Unfortunately, I haven't the slightest idea how they all go together.

Was that picture what you were looking for?

Russ

I'm not sure if it's the right part or not. My parts looked they were held together by injected plastic that was then flanged/smushed between the pieces and when it cooled that's when it sealed it all together. That's why I thought it strange that if someone had to replace it that they'd require something stupid like that.

Those plastic rivets might be it, but I'm not quite sure how they'll work without having all the pieces in front of me. I'll probably just go the epoxy route. If I ever have to replace it, a few extra bucks ain't gonna kill me...

Evolution,

Hopefully the epoxy will work. I have a strong feeling that the part you need and the part I think you need are different! It's always tough talking about steering column parts because everything is s "little round thingy" or a "plastic looking metal doohickey". Not to mention the fact that there are a ton of "little" differences between the years, all of which are represented as a 65-82 steering column.

If you do get a chance to break away from your cursing and swearing and making promises to God (and possibly the Devil)while installing your seat cushions, I would appreciate the pics of your column assembly. But if your fingers are worn out or you don't have the time, don't worry about it.

Thanks again and good luck!

Russ

Bob,

I would really appreciate it if you could pop the cap and take a pic of the inner workings. That would really help.

Unfortunately, I think I might need more than just the simple pic. I have attached the only picture I have of the steering column below. I need to find the EXACT order of everything from the wheel out to the horn cap. The picture is pretty good except it is tough to make out orientation and order of the smaller parts. That's why I was hoping Evolution could help. Since his is (presumably) apart I thought he might be able to snap some pics of how it all goes together.

I would really appreciate a pic of the inside of the column though! By the way, does your horn contact assembly have the paper spacer in it?

I will post another message below with the picture of the horn contact I'm asking about.

Thanks,

Russ

horn contact

here is the horn contact I was talking about

I can tell you that pic is upside-down. Meaning, that elbow part goes in towards the column. That elbow sits about 11 o'clock in the colum. That's what makes contact with the plate further in to activate the horn. Those flanged clips point out at you. From there, you have the male half of that clip, the aluminum/paper spacer/plate, emblem, cap.

I'm pretty sure that's the order on mine. I belive under the piece you showed is a ring with the 3 screw posts on it. It just kinda flops around in there until you put everything back together. No matter if I'm right or wrong, I'll get the pics tonight and give you the 'for sure'.

Russ,

The following are two pictures of the assembly. The first is nothing but the cap taken off with everything in place. It has a three spoke screw down type of assembly that holds the clip for the cap in place and everything underneath it.

The second picture has the three screws off which loosens (from Bottom to top) a bottom piece that is under the lock for the telescoping wheel and allows three spacers (none are paper on mine) and the assembly that holds the emblem in place to be removed. In this picture you see remaining the bottom piece and a post going down into the steering column. That is what the l bracket on the piece in your picture should contact with.

It appears that when you push the horn down it pushes this post down, causes a ground and makes the horn go off.

The thing goes back together from top to bottom, the emblem attachment that you picture and then the spacers, which are placed against the remaining bracket with the three long screws lined up and screwed into the three screw holes in the steering columns.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom