Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 coupe to roadster

drsantos

Corvette
1981 Charcoal met, 4-speed
Can an 1981 be converted to a convertible? Beside $$MONEY$$ what does ot take

:w dr,

Check out this THREAD..

My guess would be to find a late model C3 WRECKED Convert, salvage all the mech for the top including hardware for the body/frame. Find a VERY good custom body shop that knows about building Hotrods and Modifing Cars and see just how much $$$$ they want.

Boyd Cottington comes to mind $$$$$

Another way would be have someone with a 1978 ~ 1982 that has the conversion done, accompany you and your car to a "really good" body shop and have them compare and see what they think. It's not "can it be done" it's how much do you want a 1981 Corvette Convertible and "how much are you willing to spend" to have it ;)

Good Luck and please keep us informed of your search and decision ..

Bud

A friend of mine has converted an number of 1980 and 1981 Vettes.

From what I recall you will need the following from a 1975 or earlier vette , ragtop and ragtop frame, all the mounting hardware, the back cover that opens to hide the top when retracted, door windows out of a pre 1975 corvette (they are smaller), the latches for the doors (add strength).Probably some other odds and ends.

Don't forget the frame cross reinforcement (very important its done right). You don't want your car to fold in half.

Just my opinion, but unless you own a bodyshop that's idle and have a donor vert just lying about, it ain't worth fooling with. The end result could be worth less than what you've got right now. You'd be better off selling the coupe & buying a decent vert for $15K-$25K. Just priced tops ... around $200 at Al Knoch ... but if Al supplies the whole frame-bow contraption it's closer to $3K ... Parts Only. Customarily, labor is by far the greater cost.
JACK:gap

drsantos said:
Can an 1981 be converted to a convertible? Beside $$MONEY$$ what does ot take
This is too wierd. Unless I'm mistaken, we had a member of one a former local Corvette club I was with (Southwest Corvettes) who last name was Santos I believe, Bert or Burt Santos, and he had an '81 that was converted to convertible status. Red with black interior.

I don't know whatever happened to it, or him for that matter. ;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom