Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 Engine and Trans diagram parts hook up?

bigjim13

HI
just bought an original engine and trans out of an 81, appears to be complete (except valve covers- if anyone has a set would be interested) - does anyone have a diagram and such that identifies all parts and where everything hooks up?
Thanks

!st welcome to CAC!!!
2nd,do you plan on putting this into a corvette or something else????

:w Big Jim and Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community and the L81VetteRegistry :w

Ebay is a good place to find valve covers and if you see an AIM (1981 Assembly Manual) it will show you all the parts for the engine ;) I would also recommend purchase of a GM 1981 Corvette Shop Manual #ST-364-81, they are also available on Ebay or both books are available through a few after market book publishers..

Good luck with the new engine, keep us informed we all are interested in projects for or Corvettes ;) Oh if you have time post a few photos we all like them too, esp. before and after :dance

Welcome aboard enjoy the :Steer

Bud

The 81 assembly instruction manual (AIM) will show all the various connections for the engine, including the computer.

81 valve covers are magnesium and painted to look like LT-1 L-82 covers.

:thumb

81 Eng & Trans hook-up

Rebuilt My 81 Auto from the bottom up
Your best friends w/be: Factory Service Manual, Reprint Copy of Factory Assembly Manual and order a repro
copy of the factory emissions sticker that shows all of the routing all hoses and lines
As for the Valve covers, the originals were made from a HORRIBLE cast magnesium that I have had to deal with due to original baked on coating all destroyed, If you look around w/various corvette suppliers they are reproducing them again but in much better aluminum quality grade
and are Identical to the originals. Some times even at reduced pricing!
Hope that helps

2nd,do you plan on putting this into a corvette or something else????

"2nd,do you plan on putting this into a corvette or something else???? "
Thanks for the comments..actually we plan on putting the 81 engine and trans in a 79 body
Any suggestions???
Thanks

"2nd,do you plan on putting this into a corvette or something else???? "
Thanks for the comments..actually we plan on putting the 81 engine and trans in a 79 body
Any suggestions???
Thanks

With that as your plan, you absolutly must have the service manuals and AIM's for both. It could be done "possibly" using only wiring diagrams, but they will came as part of the service manual package. Bolting it all together won't be much of a show- the engine/trans changes between 79 and 81 is not much of a factor. There will also be lots of wiring on the 81 that wasn't required or even installed in 79.
Bottom line is, this is not by any means a project that can't be done.

Now you still can I would change the carb and distributor. If you want to keep it like it is then you have the following problem. As the L81 requires a ECM to engine wiring harness and the ECM you'll need to fit that into a '79 interior. The engine wiring harness also connects to the normal interior wiring harness in a 81 (I think for the speed sensor for the lockup controll) But you can always take out the ECM lockup wiring and change it for a aftermarket wiring but I don't know how much effect this has on the ECM closed loop program?

Greetings Peter

:thumbGood point Peter- the VSS- vehicle speed sensor- is in the back of the speedometer head. IIRC it won't cause any problems with the open/closed loop, but it could cause a check engine light is the ECM doesn't see it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom