Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 81 Frame marking

• Thread starter Thread starter abbey
  • Start date Start date
A

abbey

I'm the original owner of an 81. Does one with an 81 have a stenciled number/date code on the right side of the frame by the rear of the front tire?

I see in the St Luis palnt pictures there is such a stencil number

I checked mine (late BG) and the VIN was in the left rear on the chassis in front of the rear wheel. Below every bodymount there could be a number for the number of shims or something and on the left side on the chassis somewhere behind the door is a date stamp for the production date. I didn't find any other numbers.

Groeten Peter

I'm the original owner of an 81. Does one with an 81 have a stenciled number/date code on the right side of the frame by the rear of the front tire?

I see in the St Luis palnt pictures there is such a stencil number

Photo below was taken on the St. Louis Frame Line in '80 or '81, and shows the stencil on the right side, on the main rail, behind the front wheel; look at the second frame in the photo.

:beer

FrameLine80.jpg

Thanks JohnZ. That is the site I was looking at. There is an actual pic with the number of a frame and it ends in 140-1144. My car has the yellow marker number -1146 on the underside of the passenger footwell. So my frame I think was made shortly after that one!

When I detailed my frame, I did not have any stencil marking!. Maybe I took it off when I had the frame bead blasted! I documented the shim #s at each position.

I looked again at my pictures and the stamp is in front of the first bodymount on the right side.
Here's mine stamped 8-10-81 (upside down):
IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

First cleaned with a prof. steam cleaner.

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom