Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 Performance Chip

rallemandi

Corvette
1981 Coupe
Has anyone used one of the Hypertech Performance Chips in an 81? I'm curious to see if anyone felt it was worth the money. Also, where is the ECM?

Thanks,
Rick

1st of all welcome to CAC!!!:CAC
2ndly,ECM is located in the compartment with the battery of the forward facing wall.
as far as the chip goes...;shrug

Welcome aboard Rick :w

I tried the Hypertech Performance Chip years ago and didn't really notice much difference, maybe a bit at over 2700 rpm ;shrug So I took it out and didn't put it back in.

I ended up sending to a fellow L81'er from somewhere here in Texas, never heard back from him one way or another. Personnally I wouldn't waste your money and time, others may disagree, be interesting to hear their experience..

IF YOU do decide to get a chip, order it for your car... 4-Speed or Automatic ;)

AND since this is pretty much unique to our 1981's I moved your thread into the L81VetteRegistry Forums ;)

Bud

Welcome aboard.
Last time I looked into the hypertech chip all it did was change the timing ans idle mix at WOT a bit. I believe it also had some improvement to the dwell. But for the hundred odd bucs I would say No. For a few more $$ you would get more bang with duals

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. My car is an automatic. I have a low flow cat and flow masters. The exhaust mods really woke the car up but was hoping for more. Thanks again!

That's what I found out when researching it....WOT only :eyerole
JU

That would be very impressive. The ECM is locked out at WOT and at that moment the carb will work without the ECM (as far as I know :) )

Groeten Peter

I don't think the CCC is locked out at WOT, it just is ignoring the input from the O2 sensor. Its still paying attention to the TPS, vss, vac and setting the timing. Thats what I think I understand anyways

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom