Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 radiators

GT6Steve@aol.com

Corvette
1981 Oyster coupe
Amigos,
In the seemingly endless quest to get this 81 back to reliable temp control in the desert.

It's been perfect the last week after all of last weekends work. The new thermostat was probably the solution.

Today the project was to install the new shroud to replace the shattered wreck that was on the car. It's gotta help at idle, right?

Well, Twelve hours later.....

At noon I called the local radiator shop to get something to replace the poor worn out factory relic the car was using. The thing sprung leaks faster than I could solder them:confused

To get to the point...

They got me a four core rad which looked way too wide to replace the narrow one I had. I left it and had them solder up some more holes and requested the three core that I assume I have.

Now that I stand looking at it, the base looks as if it will support either of the rads with only the rubber pads being different?

If I get the four core on Monday will it fit where the three core was???

I would of contacted dewits for a radiator, their's fit, don't know about the one fron the radiator shop.

The GM four row radiators usually have a wider core than the standard radiators, but might fit your radiator support. Have your existing 81 radiator recored and you ought to be fine.

When it's time to reinstall the radiator, make sure you have the required shroud and support seals.

:)

The 4 core will work and it makes a huge difference. All you need to do is take a sharp knife and make the slot in the 4 radiator support rubber mounts longer. Like the previous poster said you MUST be sure ALL the radiator seals are new and force ALL the air THROUGH the radiator -- not over the top or leaking around the sides. This is by far the biggest problem with overheating - most of the rubber seal strips are either gone or have dissolved to dust. Be sure to check the long seal that is below the air scoop for the carb that resides between the top of the radiator and the scoop. Success = 4 core radiator and new seals along the side and top of the radiator.:beer

four core fits

Well, I don't know where you live that a single core rad works but I'll wager it's not here in the Mojave desert:L

The four core does fit, just required mods to the support rubbers as noted above. I shaped them on the belt sander and all is buttoned up at the moment. Just gotta get the plumbing connected and test it.

I didn't know about a seal below the cold air duct. I'll have to look into that.

This fiasco started with overheating on the long desert traverse each afternoon. I did new hoses, repaired the electric fan, fan clutch and was dismayed to find it had NO thermostat! The T-stat was everything. After that it ran cool until it would creep up when I got to town. A new shroud arrived so that install was last weekends agenda. When the rad came out I could see it needed replacement. After this is complete I expect it to be as bulletproof as it was when I got it ten years ago.:beer

Well, I don't know where you live that a single core rad works but I'll wager it's not here in the Mojave desert

its been in equally as hot weather

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom