Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 81 Rear Rotor Removal

• Thread starter Thread starter SGM Vette
  • Start date Start date
S

SGM Vette

I need some help, has anyone removed the rear rotors on a 80-81 Corvette? To drill out the rivets what size drill and how deep do I drill? :bash

Index the rotors before you remove them. For run out purposes, they have to go back on exactly as they came off.

:thumb

If you are removing the rotors because they are below min. thickness and need to be replaced, you can ignore the "indexing". The problem comes if the axle flange is not perpindicular to the axle centerline. If that's the case, no amont of rotor machining will correct the "runout" caused by that.

If you are removing the rotors because you believe there is runout and are going to machine the rotors in an attempt to eliminate that, you first need to determine of the problem truly is a warped rotor or if you have a problem with wheel bearing clearance.

If the problem is the rear bearing(s), that needs to be addressed, first.

The procedure is:
1) Validate bearing clearances and repair as necessary.
2) True the axle flanges.
3) Machine the rotors if necessary.

A C2/C3 disc brake will tolerate a maximum of .010 runout before the sealing system fails and the brake "sucks" air. It doesn't matter from where the runout comes...bearings, hub or axle flange or rotor...but the cumulative number needs to be .010-in. or less.

One thing you need to make sure of is to get the E-brake adjustor hole on the rotor matched up with the hole in the flange. When I tried to adjust the E-brake on my current '78 and the hole was blocked. I ended up replacing all the E-brake parts and the rear rotors. This time I made sure the holes were matched up; it will save that beating your head on the wall next time.

Just something to think about.

Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom