Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 spark plugs

LanceB

Corvette
Hello all, been awhile since I have been on here and the 81 has been cooped up in the garage all winter. I bought a new Les Paul guitar (learning to play) so the car hobby has taken a backseat, but the weather is nice now so getting the 81 out and running again. Looking to change the spark plugs as I haven't changed them in years. I originally put split fires on them not sure if that was a good idea at the time but oh well...anyway what type of plugs do you guys recommend for this year (all stock) and what measurement do you think I should gap them? Thanks in advance guys!

Use the factory recommended plugs. Correct gap is on the tune up sticker and in the owner's manual.

:)

Is there any real difference between the standard, platinum, and rapidfire plugs (other than price)?

I am looking at trying to put some plugs on tonight. I am trying to figure out why the 81 just doesn't seem as perky as it did last year. It is a loss of power, but its a more subtle loss of power, and everything checks out ok (guages, oil levels, etc). and it runs good. I drove from Cincy to Louisville and it ran cold the whole way with no problems (other than the hood coming loose), it ran good.

It was never a mindblowing ride or anything in the speed category, but the only way I can describe what I am experiencing is it seems like it engine is really straining at the higher rpms, like when I kick it in passing gear and it definitely didn't do that a year ago.

I haven't changed the plugs in years so I figured its a good place to start. Heck the engine probably needs a rebuild, it has 92K on it now, but no sense in doing that unnecessarily. With the little guys I have running around the house, it would be a tough sell to my wife.:D

Well changed plugs and wires. Noticed three things:

1) all spark plugs seemed to have pretty even wear, however one had oil around the base and thread, not certain of source, but not what I wanted to see.

2) one of the "points" on the distributor cap was loose. Did not see a way to tighten it, not sure if that is a big problem.

3) I got some new jacks and I can really get under my car like never before and see a lot (of oil among other things). This thing has little drips all over the place.

Pull the distributor cap and check the carbon button > I just had one burn up because there wasn't enough tension between the button and rotor's flat contact spring :mad

Well changed plugs and wires. Noticed three things:

1) all spark plugs seemed to have pretty even wear, however one had oil around the base and thread, not certain of source, but not what I wanted to see.
I've seen this quite a bit. Possibly a minor rocker cover leak. Unless it's drowned, I wouldn't call it a big deal.

2) one of the "points" on the distributor cap was loose. Did not see a way to tighten it, not sure if that is a big problem.

One terminal in the cap is loose, it's a safe bet you need a cap. HEI cap and rotor is never a bad thing to change during a tune-up.

3) I got some new jacks and I can really get under my car like never before and see a lot (of oil among other things). This thing has little drips all over the place.

Power wash the bottom of the car- clean it up and watch to see where the drips re-appear. Running down the highway, the wind whips oil from any leak all over the place. Enough so you can't pinpoint the source. Once you get a good source, the fix is usually easy to do. Even if it's the rear main seal, it's still a one day job in the driveway and a total cost of less than $75.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom