Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

82 AC comp work if not charged?

NewVetter

Hi guys... wondered if the AC compressor 'should' come on when the system needs a recharge. When I put the AC slide control to AC then flip on the motor switch control, the alt gauge moves and the engine appears to 'kick down' as if the compressor engaged, but I do not see the plate on the compressor move/engage. Was wondering if the system has to have the freon, or whatever stuff is used, in it before the compressor engages.... my thinking is that the comp & AC system will 'protect' itself by not running if theres not stuff in it. anyone know for sure this is or is not the case? I'm going for a recharge soon but was trying to determine if the comp and AC system in general is functioning correctly so that when I DO take it for charge, they can simply recharge it and don't find the system not working for some other reason. Thanks much, Regards :>)

There is a low pressure switch in line with the compressor wire to cut power to the compressor. You have to pull the plug off the pressure switch and put a "jumper" wire in to start the compressor. I use a paper clip to jump this. When the system has enough pressire, you can put the plug back on the switch. This allows the compressor to suck the freon in to charge the system.

LVMYVT76, hi... thanks for reply... just went out and started it/looked for switch you refer to but did not see. I see the conn. to the compressor [2 prongs], then followed the wire into a small harness that lead right to the black relay on firewall(?) Was I staring right at it and did not know it? haha, thx.

If you "feel" the change in the engine, and the voltage gauge shows the same, that says the compressor clutch IS being energized (current is flowing through the solenoid coil)...yet if you say you can't physically "see" the clutch engaging...

I'd suspect a defective clutch.

You should not have to jumper the low pressure switch if the system runs low on refrigerant. Those little cans are charged with like 100PSI of pressure...plenty to activate the low pressure switch.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom