Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

82 Projects

82RL

Corvette
2000 LT. Pewter Coupe
I have two projects I need to do on my 82. First I have purchased all new front suspensions parts. I have never attempted to work on the front suspension before. Is this something I can do or would it be best to take it to a shop? I would like to change this out myself but I don't really know what I am getting myself into.

Project #2. I need to replace the electric door lock plug on the passenger side. I know the plug has two colored wires and the rest or black. My question is can the black wires on the plug be attached wrong to the black wires in the doors. Thanks

I dont know about the '82, but on my '73 the front suspension is not too difficult. To date I have replaced the sway bar bushings and the upper control arm bushings. Neither job was too difficult and I only have a typical home garage and tools to work with.

Nor, might I add, am I a professional mechanic. I work far too slowly to make a living at this!

Main thing is to get the front as high up as possible and secure it safely.

When taking off the control arms be sure to note the number and position of shims used.

To change the bushings in the control arms I hacksawed out the old ones and used a large socket (about 1 1/16") and hammer to drive in the new ones.
Hope this is some help!
'73

Hey 82RL... I'm just down the road from you in McKinney. If you have the time and right 'instructions', you can probably do it yourself. But... if you can afford it, leave it to the pros with the right know-how and equipment.

I paid to have my suspension redone; a BIT more expensive but I had the entire suspension, brakes, exhaust and drive train completed by a pro in 3 days. Much better than me trying to figure it out over the span of several months! I have a 2 and 5 year old at home, it's hard to get some quality garage time around my house. Little things, no problem can do them myself... things that require an air gun... off it goes to the shop.

Good luck neighbor! Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom