Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'82 With A Fast Idle Problem

My '82 suddenly began idling a LOT faster than normal a few months ago and I couldn't understand why it was fast idling. I reset my IAC motors twice but that didn't help so I began looking for a possible vacuum leak. Then one early morning I noticed my headlights weren't closing like they normally did and that's when I found the problem. The rod seal on the right actuator was bad so it was pulling in air right there. So with the rod seals now replaced and my IAC motors reset a 3rd time it idles normally again. At $50 plus $9 shipping those seals aren't cheap! But they did last 25 years so I guess I got my use from them.

My '82 suddenly began idling a LOT faster than normal a few months ago and I couldn't understand why it was fast idling. I reset my IAC motors twice but that didn't help so I began looking for a possible vacuum leak. Then one early morning I noticed my headlights weren't closing like they normally did and that's when I found the problem. The rod seal on the right actuator was bad so it was pulling in air right there. So with the rod seals now replaced and my IAC motors reset a 3rd time it idles normally again. At $50 plus $9 shipping those seals aren't cheap! But they did last 25 years so I guess I got my use from them.
a very common problem. After 35 years most of the system on my 81 had leaks (or was missing due to bubba) the only things I haven't replaced are the canister, the switch, and the actuators (have new seals though). Everything else is new.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom