Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'84 Rocker Arm (Valve Cover) Gaskets

muskiemike

Corvette
1984 Gunmetal Met
84' Rocker Arm (Valve Cover) Gaskets

This ought to raise a few eyebrows:

I have a 84' Vet with 30,000 original miles -

I noticed that there was an oil leak on the passengers side of the rocker arm/valve cover . . .

So, I decided to replace the gaskets with Fel-pro PremaDry - Plus.

After I removed the valve covers, I immediately noticed that this car did not have a traditional gasket on it.

Apparently, they simply used orange RTV to make a gasket/seal . . .

When I purchased the car in 1985, it had 17,000 miles on it, I had it checked out at the Chevy Dealership and they said it had a bad head gasket - so I had it fixed by the dealership before I purchased the car.

So, here's my ?'s:

Is this common to only use RTV and not a proper gasket especially at a Chevy Dealership?

Did the factory deliver 84' Vets with RTV instead of using proper valve cover gaskets?

When I removed the organge RTV material, there absolutely no sign of cork or other type of traditional gasket?

In advance, all comments are greatly appreciated!

Happy St. Patty's day ta ya!

muskiemike said:
Is this common to only use RTV and not a proper gasket especially at a Chevy Dealership?
I don't know. ;shrug
Did the factory deliver 84' Vets with RTV instead of using proper valve cover gaskets?
;shrug

Someone will have an answer for you. I just wanted to let you know that it was I who edited your post title to read '84 instead of 84'; I didn't want people to think you have eighty-four foot long valve covers. :t

Rocker cover gasket

I've used RTV as a rocker cover gasket several times, usually out boating and couldn't get the correct gasket in the local fish market economy. Orange, blue, even black. To my surprise, it always worked very well with no leaks. Even used RTV as an intake manifold seal and ran 160 miles to home port. Didn't have the nerve to leave it and put in a 'normal' gasket. The RTV had not failed.

I just replaced the valve cover gaskets on my 84 and I to only had orange RTV and no gaskets. It was leaking all over the place. The guy I bought the car from said he only had it serviced at the dealership and had documentation to prove it. I thought Bubba must have gotten to it. So I find it interesting that a low mileage car such as yours would have the same thing.:( Well, needless to say I installed gaskets and it doesn’t leak a drop now.

My low mileage '85 had the same orange RTV you describe. In addition, when I went to install the perma dry gaskets, they were too thick for the stock valve cover bolts.

The valve covers came from the factory with NO gaskets.
Use the RTV..
Assuming your covers are not badly warped, you should be OK.

reply to spyysee

spyysee said:
The valve covers came from the factory with NO gaskets.
Use the RTV..
Assuming your covers are not badly warped, you should be OK.
The plastic type of covers are in good shape . . .

Is that correct, the factory used RTV - what was the thinking of this, besides keeping the cost down by $10?

Perhaps I am incorrect but RTV back in 1984 really did not have the durability of gaskets - maybe they thought the RTV (rubber) would last longer then cork, but when you apply only RTV and then bolt down the rocker arm covers, you are going to squeeze most of the RTV out of the surface area and into the rocker arm or externally.

Comments please!

I believe that in the case of these covers, the RTV applied properly and allowed to cure before starting the engine has a better chance of staying leak free than a gasket.

The SBC, since day one back in late 1954 has been terrible about valve cover gaskets leaking. The worst ones are, of course, the ones with sheet metal covers. The sheet metal flexes. To make things worse they only have four bolts. They really didn't do anything to address this problem for over thirty years. In 1987 they went to the center bolt covers. This applies an even force on the CAST cover which will not flex. This puts even pressure on the gasket all around like a Mason jar.

Put a nice, even 1/4" bead of Red RTV all around and then place the cover in position without sliding it around. Allow the RTV to cure over night and it will most likely be leak free for a long time.

MANY items are put together by the manufacturers with nothing but RTV. Like anything else, it works well if done properly.

Good luck,

Plastic covers??

You're right in assuming that most of it would squeeze out.(means you used too much)
But where it remained created a better seal than you would think!

Guess where the extra rtv winds up? Most folks get lucky but I have seen it work it`s way into oil pumps and oil passegers on every thing from bikes and diesels . Just use it wisely.

Cool, I learned something! My '84 had 12k on it when I bought it. As far as I recall, it had gaskets then, as it does now, but I cannot affirm dealer-only maintenance. The dealer was lousy with the C-4 at first anyway, so what's that matter?

Seems the crucial step after applying a proper and relatively even bead of RTV, is the curing step, which I believe is described on each tube. I'd bet the real savings is in time, as the covers, (cast of magnesium, aren't they?) are a PITA to install w/ new, traditional, gaskets.

Here's more, as a start-- http://www.loctite.com.au/automotive/siliconegasketmakers.htm

Now that you mention it, I remember reading that, Ken.

gorilla snot??

The '84 valve covers are indeed cast magnesium, with that hideous baby-poop green paint (as is the air cleaner housing, but that's powdercoated). That stuff is just so light it feels like plastic.

The RTV will work fine if allowed to cure properly before tightening down. If you ever have to buy an intake gasket set you'll find that they no longer come with the rubber strips that go between the bottom of the intake and the top of the block, but with a tube of RTV black instead.

My crossfire intake lid gasket is RTV copper. Been on there for about a year and a half with not one vacuum leak.

Bill

The covers painted up okay with the paint from, was it MA or Eckler? Not too easy to REALLY clean up, but they are okay. PLUS, no bS (that'd be baby S...) green.

Yeah magnesium preps very nicely. Just be careful if grinding or sanding...it WILL catch on fire and burns fiercely hot! It polishes up beautifully too, but there are just so many imperfections in the covers as well as the air cleaner housing that its tough to do. I just left mine with a "brushed" look from one of those sanding "flap" discs on a drill and sprayed a clear coat on it.

THX to ALL your Replies!

"THX" for all of your comments . . .

I have now replaced the orange RTV sealent with Fel-Pro PermaDry + gaskets, I did use a "VERY" small amount of Permetex Blue.

They turned out great - no leaks . . .

However, since the Fel-Pro PermaDry + gaskets are approx 1/4" in thickness, I did have to replace the bolts with a 1/4" increase in length.

Again, thanks to all for your reviews, and comments!

This continues to be a GREAT Forum!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom