Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'84 startup smoke

S

silver84

After my L83 has set for awhile (couple hours or more), when you start it, it puffs a bit of smoke, then clears up.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Valve seals and or valve guides...common for 350's as well as the 305....

Yupppp

Valve seals are relatively easy to change, too.

Yes, the seals are easy to change, and sometimes will help. Many times though, the guides are worn and replacing the seals doesn't accomplish much.

The key is bronze wall guides. When it comes rebuild time, use bronze wall guides. Small block Chevies have always been tough on guides. The bronze wall is basically a bronze heli coil that is put in place then reamed to size. They will stay tight for a long, long time.

Good luck,

It is not necessarily the valve guides all the time. I had the same problem before I did a major preventive maintenance program on my car. I changed all the sensors, cleaned the IAC and its port, adjusted the TPS , changed all the filters (air and fuel) changed the PVC and changed all a vacuum hoses, plugs, wires, coil…ect. Now I start it up and clean a as whistle. I passed emissions with nearly a perfect score. Check the color of the smoke.

black = excess fuel
white = water or coolant
bluish = oil

JonM said:
It is not necessarily the valve guides ...

The seals are the problem, not the guides. GM fixed it later by utilizing a different style seal. ;)

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom