Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'85 Vette instability

B

boblx2a

I have had two experiences (on different cars) with the rear wheel hub nut becoming loose. Loose enough to remove with my fingers. The result was, in this particular case, a growling in the rear end and instability when the car shifts under stress. (WOT, etc.)
Has anyone had this happen besides me? I have had it happen on both my '86 left rear and my '85 right rear hubs. The '86 I went ahead and changed the hub, the '85 I just retightened the hub to factory specs and the growl and instability went away.
Now granted, I drove the '86 like I had stolen it! But the '85 I have been pretty careful with because it is a "show" quality car.

What would cause the rear hub nut to become loose? Unless it was not tightened correctly in the first place, but that is unlikely to happen on two cars..........

Can't say bob. My 85 is tight as a drum. This is the first time I've heard this. Happening on two cars seems mighty strange. As strange as it sounds, maybe they weren't tightened properly:confused on either car.

Hmmm...You wouldnt think they would loosen with the lock ring and cotter key in place . makes me wonder if its do to some wear in the bearing nd it loses its preload. Just a thought.

'85 Vette instability-

I began thinking along those lines until I looked at what the nut is tightened against. It is not tightened against the bearings so while the wheel would wobble if the bearings became loose the nut should not become less tight.
I almost have to believe it was never tightened correctly. But I have trouble slipping that theory by TWO cars.......:)

boblx2a,

Your not married are you??

If you are tell her you cancelled the insurance, that should stop that nut from loosing.

All kidding aside, that does sound strange having it happen to 2 cars and both of them your's.

Goodluck,

Rick

85' Vette instability

Well I have been driving it for 3 days now at highway speeds with no ill effects. The rear end is quiet as a mouse and there has been no noticed instability.
I can't believe I am getting away this cheap! I think I will hold onto the hub though. Being loose that long (I have put 6K on it) has most likely scored the bearings in the hub.

Of course my wife's Aerostar just came in with about a $650.00 bill for the 120K check up.. :( So I guess I am not ahead much anyway.........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom