Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

86 CLUTCH PROBLEMS, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

R

ROCKYQ

I HAVE AN 86 WITH THE 4+3 TRANS, MY CLUTCH IS NOT WORKING, THE FLUID WAS LOW SO I ADDED THE DOT3 THAT WAS RECOMMENDED. I THEN CRACKED AND BLED THE LINE THEN ADDED MORE FLUID. I WAS ABLE TO GET ENOUGH CLUTCH TO TAKE IT OUT OF REVERSE AND PUT IT IN 1ST GEAR BUT THE THE CLUTCH PEDAL STILL SEEMED VERY SOFT. I DROVE ALL YESTERDAY WITH NO PROBLEMS, THIS MORNIING I GOT IN AND NOTICED THE CLUTCH PROBLEM. ANY SUGGESTION?

R

ROCKYQ

CLUTCH ISSUES

NO I DID NOT , IS THAT RECOMMENDED? IF SO THAT WILL BE MY NEXT STEP BEFORE I START REPLACING PARTS.
THANKS I WILL GIVE THAT A TRY.

L

Louis Bartay

NO I DID NOT , IS THAT RECOMMENDED? IF SO THAT WILL BE MY NEXT STEP BEFORE I START REPLACING PARTS.
THANKS I WILL GIVE THAT A TRY.

Pull the boot back on the slave and the master and see if either one is leaking by their seal. Check the line from the slave to the boot and see if it is dry. Read the bleeding info on the zfdoc web site it will help.Hope this helps as I just went thru this and had the slave replaced while the engine was out being rebuilt.

R

ROCKYQ

Pull the boot back on the slave and the master and see if either one is leaking by their seal. Check the line from the slave to the boot and see if it is dry. Read the bleeding info on the zfdoc web site it will help.Hope this helps as I just went thru this and had the slave replaced while the engine was out being rebuilt.
THANKS, I WILL GIVE THAT A TRY.
WHAT FLUID DO YOU RECOMMEND?

L

Louis Bartay

THANKS, I WILL GIVE THAT A TRY.
WHAT FLUID DO YOU RECOMMEND?

ATE 200 Amber, but a good DOT 3 with the highest boiling point you can get from your auto supply will work. My 96 LT4 has DOT 3 on the cap of the master for the clutch. GM has a fluid that GM says to use. I have no idea if it is just a GM brake fluid..I used Prestone DOT Synthetic 284 wet boiling point and 470 dry boiling point. And all is OK as I have a new AC Delco slave that was leaking at the stainless line that attaches to the master. Wrapped teflon tape on it and bled the system. So far OK.

T

tdr1919

there is no doubt that you must remove the slave cylinder and push it up so the bleed nipple is straight up. ihad to rebuild my slave on my 86 because none of the after market slave cylinders had the correct thread on the hydraulic line, either get a factory unit or rebuild it, ROck Auto had the kit for 8 bucks
Tom

L

Louis Bartay

there is no doubt that you must remove the slave cylinder and push it up so the bleed nipple is straight up. ihad to rebuild my slave on my 86 because none of the after market slave cylinders had the correct thread on the hydraulic line, either get a factory unit or rebuild it, ROck Auto had the kit for 8 bucks

Tom

Tom
Do you have the part# for the slave rebuild kit? Bill at zfdoc said he could not get the seals.
Thanks
Louis

R

ROCKYQ

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE, I WENT AND ORDER A NEW CLUTCH MASTER AND SLAVE CYLINDER HOPEFULLY THAT WILL SOLVE MY PROBLEMS.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom