Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 86 intermittent engine shut off

JimmyK

Corvette
1986 White coupe
Hello, everyone. My name is Jim and I've been a member of this forum for some time, but have never posted a question, I am the third owner of an 86, automatic, completely stock. Has about 57K on it. I have complete records and receipts for any maintenance and repairs over the years. I'm sure the issue I'm having has been discussed in the past. The problem I'm having is intermittent shutdown , regardless if the engine is up to temp or not. This usually happens when my wife drives the car, but has happened to me twice in the past two weeks. It starts right up when cold, but sometimes has an extended crank time, but will fire up. Recent tune up was done including ignition coil and module. runs smooth and has correct 700rpm idle when warmed up. No stumble on acceleration and runs strong. Battery is about two years old, and passes load test. Alternator was replaced earlier this summer, charges at 13.8 to 14.2 consistently. TPS, IAC, and some faulty injectors were replace last year. There is no check engine light on. Does anyone have any ideas what else to check over? Wife is afraid to drive it,(it killed on her this past Sunday on the way to a car show) and the problem is driving me nuts. Thank you for any advice.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom