Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 89 Corvette no climate control antilock light on

95pologreen

Corvette
2000 Torch Red Coupe
I am new to the forums, and was hoping someone could help me trace down an odd problem with my corvette. When I started up the car a couple of days ago the antilock light came on and the electronic climate control was dead. I also discovered that when I turn on the headlight the door chime, chimes all the time, even with the engine on and both doors closed. One last thing I noticed the courtesy lights are staying on for about 10 sec. when they would normally go off right after the key was on and the doors were closed. All of these problems happened all at the same time. I have checked all of the fuses, the abs system with a abs scanner it is showing no codes. Anyone have any ideas?

Vanity mirror lights, do they work? The gauge fuse is a common power feed to both the ABS module relay, electronic climate control and courtesy light delay timer. Looks like vanity lights also use the same feed. Just because they work, do not rule out an open power feed, it just means that this fuse is OK. The FSM describes that power is provided with key in "run" using power from this fuse to an ABS module relay. This module relay is used to signal the ABS control module that ignition is on which then runs a self check (including testing voltages). The ANTILOCK indicator goes out if everything is normal. It would seem that what is common to all is this power feed. No power to module relay (ABS light stays on), no run power to climate control unit (no display lights), and no power to the light delay timer causes it to act strange. Before this happened, did you do any type of work on the car that would provide a hint of where a wire could have been damaged?

Welcome to CAC...

I just checked and the vanity lights do not work. I installed a radio myself about a month ago. It still powers on and works good. I also installed an aftermarket amplified antenna in the front wind shield. It is powered by the radio. If it was a bare wires wouldn't it blow the fuse? Everything was working good till the other day when I went to turn on the key the problem just ocured. I drive it just about every day.

Well you just added item #4 (vanity lights) to the list that points to an open wire that feeds all these components. Double check the fuse using more than just a visual. Make sure you are getting power at this fuse to determine if the issue is before or after the fuse box. Let me know what you discover. Then the fun begins. I'll try and help using the FSM.

I removed the gauge fuse and is was blown. It still had a small piece in the middle, that is probably why it had low resistance when I checked the top it with the dvom that was why i assumed it was good and was how I checked the other fuses at the time. I went to the local parts store and got a fuse, everything started working again:). I am going to drive it over the weekend at let you know what happens. I am hoping that it doesn't have a bare wire or a bad ground some place. Do fuses sometimes just go bad or do they blow for a reason?

Great news. Usually when a fuse pops it leaves a film inside. I have not had any issues with fuses just going on me, so I doubt it is age related. I wouldn't worry about what caused it unless it does it again. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom