Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

90 ZR-1 on Ebay

• Thread starter Thread starter JimS
  • Start date Start date
Killing the market!

Hi Jay,

Actually, the Z06 has killed the ZR1 and Callaway market values. I have been following sales national and found that the Z06 has not held its value either. Checkout what dealers are allowing in trade on cars with less than 15k mileages:

2001 Z06.... $26,500 to $28,800 average -- re-sale 31k to 33k
2002 Z06.... $30,000 to $32,000 average -- re-sale 34k to 36k

If this model which equals performance of both the ZR1 and Callaway is moving downward, what can we expect? The new technology of the Z06 kills the other models and the prices are right for a buyer too. Let's face it, this market on a whole is in poor shape. Three months after the new 2003 model came on the seen, major dealers were discounting Z06 between 6k to 7k off the MSRP. Some dealers even were offering "no-interest" five year loans too.

True, both the ZR1 and Callaway are collectors car. However, check out the other high line performance cars and you will see a similar pattern. Nothing is holding its value for the most part.

Let's hope spring will bring some new interest. As to selling the 1990 ZR1 for $21,000, he is right on the money and even a little high. I heard a 1991 ZR1 with 7700 miles was sold person to person for $19,950.

Let pray for better market.

Stan:) :w

that's alot of car for the $$$.

I haven't been into the Z06 yet, it's for sure a great car, but for 20K, a nice ZR1 is a great buy and a very exotic car for the $$$$.

my bet is that the C6 will hammer prices for both. fine with me, keep the cheap deals on pristine vettes coming, I don't have to be first in line for the latest, give me cheap prices on the low mile "old stuff" that someone else has already eaten the depreciation on it.

cya.

I bought a 2002 Z06 after I got back from Japan last year, I had it and my ZR-1 at the same time I really loved my Z06 and after having owned 4 C-4's the Z06 was a big improvement as far as getting in and out and also just the all around performance I loved that car but when I had to sell one of them to buy my wife a truck because that's what she wanted, It was the Z06 that had to go...

anyway I sold my car for 42,000 with 8,000 miles so I don't think I did to bad compared to what some people are getting now!!!

Im actually happy I sold when I did.. but now my wife wants to get a 2003???? so I might look at getting a 2001 with real low miles

Or I might just get another ZR-1!!! =0)

have a good one guys

phrogs said:
Im actually happy I sold when I did.. but now my wife wants to get a 2003???? so I might look at getting a 2001 with real low miles

It's a never ending battle isn't it phrogs?:L :L :L

Stan,

I believe that less and less people are putting their cars away these days. Sure, there are "garage queens" but I think that most have learned their lesson from the ZR1. So many people paid well above sticker for those cars, stuck them in their garage with the intent of having it substantially appreciate only to see GM come out with a car that has the capabilities of the Z06. I guess more and more people are getting the attitude of, "If I've got it, I may as well drive it!"

Well said Edmond! I couldn't agree more. I drive my car on nice days, and there are plenty of them to enjoy.

-JimS

Driving is the way to go!

I agree with everyone. Drive it and enjoy it! Show cars are nice but to me the full enjoyment is being behind the wheel and in control of the car we love the most!

Phrogs, nice going with regards to the re-sale.

By the way, we are hearing that the number of 2003 Corvettes sold this year through January 2003 is under 9,000 units. This is low but understandable as this market is heading the wrong way.

If anyone out there is planning on trading in a car with regards to buying a new one be sure and check with the institution that financed that "trade in" about 30 days after the deal is completed.

We are seeing dealers not paying off these "trade-in's". Several dealers in the north Atlanta area have been caught doing this over the last few months. They are just trying to keep their cash flow up. However, it could be at the customer credit expense.

Everyone have a great day,
Stan :) :w

1990 ZR1

My brother bought a 1990 ZR1 Friday March 21,2003 for $18,000 with 53k miles on the clock. The car is like brand new. He couldn't write the check fast enough. I'll probably buy one in the near future. The prices are just too good right now.

Re: 1990 ZR1

Karl Snedeger said:
My brother bought a 1990 ZR1 Friday March 21,2003 for $18,000 with 53k miles on the clock. The car is like brand new. He couldn't write the check fast enough. I'll probably buy one in the near future. The prices are just too good right now.

No doubt, eh? I'm stunned by the continuous plummet of the prices of vettes in general. For instance - a 02 Z06 is only worth about 37-38K right now - from the 52K asking price brand new a year ago!!! Now that is some frightening depreciation - and the ZR-1 is no stranger to this phenomenon. If I'd have waited till this year, I could've saved about 3K - but that little amount isn't enough to make me regret my purchase. I'm just glad I bought a Z, and spent the money on a 368 LPE package, instead of buying a brand new Z06 - which would've taken the same money from my pocket - difference is, my Z is now appreciating, and the Z06 is depreciating!!

:Roll

Man this is painful though. After I bought my Z I dropped some cash into my daily driver because I could not handle the performance delta.

Now about 7 months later I probably could have bought myself a nice 90. Hopefully, I will be able to afford another one soon.

Stan, have you seen the black 89 B2K auto conv. for sale on the Callaway website? It has only 1600miles and looks mint. The owner is asking 60K which is way too much. I offered 35K for it last year and was laughed at. BTW the car is still for sale. What do you think its value is? Thanks in advance.

I guess it depends what the buyer wants the car for. With only 1,600 miles I see this car being sold as strictly collectable. If I were to WAG it I would say between 54k and 60k is fair game.

How rare are the B2Ks? I am off to the site to check it out now.

Wow. There is a 87 red B2K for sale. I think 29K is a great buy. Why not pick that one up?

I used to own a red 87B2K but sold it due to business reasons. I always told myself that if I got into another Callaway it would be an 88/91. As far as the 89s value check Vette magazine value guide it lists an 89 B2K conv. for 31K. BTW the car has been for sale for two years.

Value Question

A very good one!!!!!!!!!!

With only 1600 miles leaves me with other questions. First, is the car is 14 years old and with that little mileage, there maybe other mechanical issue that may have not revealed themselves. Second, this kind of mileage maybe collector dream but in the long run more mileage would be my preference. Car not driven like this one can develop problems.

Value is another story. The down side is the automatic tranny. Cost and repairs are the issue. Drive a Callaway TT with auto hard and it will land in the shop. The price you have offered is a fair one. Re building of the tranny is your main consideration. A collector who plans not to drive may want to push the 40k+ window. However, the $60,000 asking price is way to high no matter what the mileage, model, or year in the current market.

Nothing is holding its value in this market. Looking for better days ahead.

Take care,
Stan:) :w

wm_sorg said:
How did you like it? Are they as tempremental as roumored to be?
I loved it and had no problems with it in the 11 years that I owned it. Stan, thanks for your response. I thought that the Callaway modded auto trans. was bullet proof. I like the idea of having the car under boost the entire run plus they are rare. If things go better for me I will contact the owner again, he may not laugh at me this time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom