Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'90 ZR1 engine oil cooling hose assembly

• Thread starter Thread starter grandam
  • Start date Start date
G

grandam

Hi -

Mine is leaking at the crimp. Anyone know where I can pick up an engine oil cooling hose assembly for a '90 ZR1?

Anyone know the part number? I have the service manuals, but no part numbers!

TIA for your help!

I changed mine about a year ago. I bought it through the local Chevy dealer. Good luck though, there is no way to change it without making a mess.

Thank you!

Do you happen to have the part number?

TIA

Thanks to all

Getting someone to recrimp the hose makes good sense to me.

Thanks again!

It must have been recently discontinued, then. I just got one through P&G Chevy about a month or two back. So you might want to get on the ball as there may still be some in inventory out there.

As said, it is a bit messy, but not too terrible. Also, the new ones aren't painted black on the metal parts. I painted mine before installing it.

I'm glad I kept my old one, I guess I'll clean it up and go get it reconditioned. :)

On a 15 year-old engine DO NOT recrimp old hoses.

Even if you can find them, the GM replacement oil hoses will be of a smaller diameter and more restrictive than the original hoses used on the earlier cars.

You're much better off replacing the stock type, crimp-fitting oil lines with "real" oil hoses made-up from components from XRP or Aeroquip.

For more info on making your own oil hoses, see: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=646&sort=2&cat=2&page=1

thank you!!!!!!!

I found a new GM set online - the GM replacement part. Actually, I found 2 places that have them. The one wanted $150 and the other actually wanted $300!

I can put the addresses up here of where they are, but I don't know if live links to businesses are permitted.

If you want me to put the links up here, please let me know.

Also, these apparently appear on ebay periodically.

Thanks again!

temporary quick fix!

Just thought I'd pass this on to anyone who is interested.

I wanted to stop the oil leak until I could get and install the new hose assembly.

While at Lowe's today, I found a product that seems to do the trick. It looks like black electrical tape, but it is not - it is a rubber tape wrap, with no adhesive on it, that you stretch and wrap around the joint you are trying to seal. I've never seen this stuff before but it seems to seal this crimp. It is advertised to work on radiator hoses, etc. It has an operating use from 0 to 212 deg. F. I've run the car for hours now with no leak and the tape seems to be holding. I carefully pressure washed the area where it was leaking before applying the tape. I'm guessing auto part stores might carry this but I'm not sure of that.

It's called Magic Wrap and it's manufactured by Glasgow Manufacturing in Canada - seems to be way better than duck tape or electrical tape for emergency temporary repair of a leaking hose.

Hib Halverson said:
On a 15 year-old engine DO NOT recrimp old hoses.

Even if you can find them, the GM replacement oil hoses will be of a smaller diameter and more restrictive than the original hoses used on the earlier cars.

You're much better off replacing the stock type, crimp-fitting oil lines with "real" oil hoses made-up from components from XRP or Aeroquip.

For more info on making your own oil hoses, see: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=646&sort=2&cat=2&page=1
Do you have a picture of the finished product? It's hard to understand if something was welded to the oil cooler, or just to the piece of the hose assembly that attaches to the oil cooler?

You cut the hoses and crimps off a set of stock hoses then weld a pair of AN-10 male fittings on the tubes where are left. Then you bolt that back on the stock cooler.

Unfortunately, that CF review has no images. A similar article, but with pictures, used to be in the CAC's review section but somehow or other it's disappeared.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom