Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

91-96 corvette Quality

95pologreen

Corvette
2000 Torch Red Coupe
I just sold my 89 about a week ago. I have been looking at corvettes and found that I like c4's better because they are smaller and easier to move in and out of traffic than the c5 and c6's. I found a 92 with low miles, my big question is was the 92 a good year? I know it was the first year of the LT1, I was always told that 1st. year products were full of bugs. Anyone have any opinions on the c4's and which ones were good ones. I was told that the 91's all had fuel injector issues. Any help will be much appreciated.:thanks:

I found a 92 with low miles, my big question is was the 92 a good year?
92/93 had the non vented Optispark which gave the Opti it's bad name ( can be upgraded to later vented type).
Also the 92/93 cars seems to give consistent problems ( code 41 ; communication with the CCM is a common one, won't let engine start )
As you can see below , nothing consistent.May be grounds , bad wiring or connections or the ECM itself (even in some cases the ECM overheating)

Which is failing? ECM or CCM? - Corvette Forum
pulling my hair out - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

and the ECM is no longer available new; rebuilt only and many have had problems with those as well

I agree with 6 shooter. 94-96 were the best years of the C4, especially 96. I would concentrate on that year! Let us know how you make out.

Elaine

I just sold my 89 about a week ago. I have been looking at corvettes and found that I like c4's better because they are smaller and easier to move in and out of traffic than the c5 and c6's. I found a 92 with low miles, my big question is was the 92 a good year? I know it was the first year of the LT1, I was always told that 1st. year products were full of bugs. Anyone have any opinions on the c4's and which ones were good ones. I was told that the 91's all had fuel injector issues. Any help will be much appreciated.:thanks:

I am sorry to say mine is for sale-Polo green 94' all available options for 94,this car has gotten wet in the rain twice in her 17 years.Needless to say she is showroom with 30,000 miles.Only change a Corsa exhaust system & she sounds great.I can be reached a timgc4@gmail .com

The 94-96's being the last of the breed so to speak had the issues mostly resolved by then. That being said the later C4's 91-96 are generally way better in terms of build quality and other issues that where fixed as the car aged, than the earlier C4's. I would not rule out 91-93, these are all old cars at this point and anything can go at anytime. Get the newest, best condition C4 you can afford. I like my 93 and do not regret it at all. I prefer the 90-93 interior over the 94-96 one. These are Corvettes parts are available and can be found. I needed a steel power steering pump pulley no longer available from GM or anyone. Found one at a Corvette salvage yard, 85 bucks for it and the pump itself. Not a bad deal, just got to know where to look. So don't let parts availability scare you. PCM failures while they do happen are not the norm.

Thanks everyone for your input I have some in mind that I will be looking at this weekend. Is there any items on the car I should inspect carefully? Thanks for the offer TGc4, but I am looking for a local car.

I'd have to go with the same advice offered by 6 Shooter and GS Diva... IF you intend to buy a C4, I'd go with the latest models from the C4 run. Although, a '93 Anniversary Edition in Ruby Red would be a good choice if the current owner planned on keeping it as an "investment".

Personally, I'd recommend lots of reading:

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center

Corvette Action Center | Tech | 1984 - 1996 (C4) Corvette Tech Articles

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Buying a Corvette

Corvette Action Center | Tech | Corvette Featured Articles

Corvette Action Center Knowledgebase

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Automotive Tools and Online Calculators

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Model Center

Good luck with your search.
Let us know what you find.
:wJane Ann

Buy The Best

Ok, I'm biased here but I'd buy the best car I can find/afford. I love my '96 because of the styling, but I really can't compare it to any other Corvette not having had one before. Ridden in a C3 once and wan't impressed if I recall, but that was many, many years ago so maybe I've mellowed since then.

Sometimes though, the best car needs to be shipped, other times it's right in your backyard so who knows? There are lots of Corvettes out there so look around.

Just letting everyone know that I bought a corvette today. It is a 1995 Polo Green coupe. I had to drive 300 miles one way to get it, but it was well worth it, the car drove like a dream all the way back.:happyanim:

Just letting everyone know that I bought a corvette today. It is a 1995 Polo Green coupe. I had to drive 300 miles one way to get it, but it was well worth it, the car drove like a dream all the way back.:happyanim:
Excellent - congrats!!

We'll look forward to pix soon.

:wJane Ann

Good For you!

I'm really happy for you. I share your affection (affliction) for the C4 as well. Best of luck, and lot's of enjoyment to you.

Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom