Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

91 L98 Spark Control

Spiderman

Corvette
Gorgeous White '91 Coupe
Hello All! It's been a while since I've posted.

For some time now I've been getting the "Service Engine Soon" warning intermittently (comes on and off every few minutes, stays on from start up, or doesn't come on at all) almost every day in the Vette. Although I can't recall the code, when my shop checked it out, they said it was the ESC module. That would certianly explain the sluggishness and hesitation when I lay on the throttle. It only occurs when the SES light is on and runs great when it's not.

I guess I would like to know what's up with the intermittent-ness of it. Could be a loose connection maybe. If I replace the ESC Module, what other components should I investigate or replace with it?
I've been reading my Haynes manual to study up, but maybe one of you has done this before. '91 L98 Auto in stock condition, 93k miles.

Any advice would be awesome. Sarcasm is always appreciated, provided it's noted as such.

Spiderman :_rock

Spiderman said:
Hello All! It's been a while since I've posted.

For some time now I've been getting the "Service Engine Soon" warning intermittently (comes on and off every few minutes, stays on from start up, or doesn't come on at all) almost every day in the Vette. Although I can't recall the code, when my shop checked it out, they said it was the ESC module. That would certianly explain the sluggishness and hesitation when I lay on the throttle. It only occurs when the SES light is on and runs great when it's not.

I guess I would like to know what's up with the intermittent-ness of it. Could be a loose connection maybe. If I replace the ESC Module, what other components should I investigate or replace with it?
I've been reading my Haynes manual to study up, but maybe one of you has done this before. '91 L98 Auto in stock condition, 93k miles.

Any advice would be awesome. Sarcasm is always appreciated, provided it's noted as such.

Depending on the Code the shop is possibly right. The ESC Module is part of the MEMCAL located in the ECM. The MEMCAL can be purchased for about $50 off the internet and is a Dealer item only. There are different MEMCALs depending on the Trans type and rear gear ratio as well.

Thanks Jeff.

This is one problem which seems to be part of an ever growing list. :hb

I have developed a small oil leak as well. No smoke out the engine or burn of on the exhuast, just a little "drippidge" left after she's parked.

Rear brakes are close to non-existent. Fronts are worn. I have all new rotors and pads in the mail right now.

Here's the kick in the crotch though. I just recently returned from a 2 month job in Hollywood (CA), the day after I got back, I went out to the Vette, planned on checking the fluids, starting it up and going for a drive.
For an unprecedented THIRD TIME, my hood latch release cable broke.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :r

Third time. It's killing me. I can't even work on car. After the second time I was told it was a freak occurrence. The hood pins were examined, every thing was aligned. Life as a whole was pretty good.
Hear that bell? Round Three.:bash

I just hope there's still oil in the motor when I take it in.

Spiderman :cry

I wouldn't rule out a bad ECM ...I recently replaced one on my 90 after several months of SES light and running rough...tried everything before I replaced the ECM and it fixed it and I've had no problems since.

Jason

WHo replace the Hood Latch Cable last time? It sounds like it is binding somewhere causeing it to break. Also are you sure it is broken? when my Vette is an an uneven surface sometimes the passenger side latch will not release. I also must be lucky, my 89 has 99K miles and still has the original Hood cables

Luckily the cable wasn't broken, it just came out of adjustment. No charge.

Fixed the oil leak. turned out to be the oil pressure sensor on the rear of the motor. It had come loose. replaced it. It's pretty nice not having anything dripping off the car.

Also found that my distributor was loose. Installed a new cap and rotor, and it runs a lot smoother now. SES light is still coming on and causing the same problems. I need to take it in to get that fixed. I may just replace everything on the ESC food chain to save the trouble of fixing one component after the other.

Brakes are going on Sunday.

Life is good.:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom