Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'92 'vette engine and ZF 6 speed for a C1...How does it rate..

Stan's Customs

Corvette
Project 1961....
What is the consensus regarding a '92 Corvette engine (LT1 I believe) and the same vintage ZF 6 speed trans for a C1 that is not a restoration candidate. I know very little about the later model Corvette engines and transmissions.

...or is there another model Corvette drive line that would be preferable....

I've been considering some the GM crate engines......but there are Corvette drive lines can that can be had complete with transmissions, ecm, etc....

Might they be a better bang for the buck ?

...which approach would be a better set up in general?

Suggestions anyone??

If you're using a stock frame, I don't think a ZF (or a T-56) will fit in the C1 tunnel. :eyerole

Thanks John Z....

This frame has been cut (back halfed) so a new x-member is not out of the question.....probabably going to change the suspension anyway.

Just don't know zilch about anything in the later Corvettes....or what is popular.

Sorry I missed this earlyer,there are plenty of real hot small block crate motors out there at real affourdable pricing.

I know last year one of the aftermarket 5 or 6 speed tranny guys was working on a kit for C1,I have not heard anymore about it since then.

I have installed a few LT1's in older vettes and other cars. I am putting one in my C1 project. I'm using a SRIII frame. They don't perform as well as the LS1 moters but I like them and they run great. I have seen to many problems with LS1's. The LT1 is still a good old small block. ( well kinda )

Okaaay.......Well that's do it this way...

Money no real factor...just similar pricing. If you had a choice...what engine is the favorite. Crate FI 350 , Crate stroked 383.., LT 1..., Other......(no vipers etc)

If money was not the deciding factor, I would go with the LS2 . Where else are you going to get this kind of performance coupled with ultra reliability and good fuel economy! A little more difficult to install and sort out than a carbed engine, but no real difference when compared to a LT1 or LT4. You can buy a brand new LS2 for about $5400, and you get a great warranty and 400 ponies!

John Mcgraw said:
If money was not the deciding factor, I would go with the LS2 . Where else are you going to get this kind of performance coupled with ultra reliability and good fuel economy! A little more difficult to install and sort out than a carbed engine, but no real difference when compared to a LT1 or LT4. You can buy a brand new LS2 for about $5400, and you get a great warranty and 400 ponies!

WOW John your slipping Money no object I thought for sure you would say the LS7

Next project I build will have an ls2

Thanks John...

Appreciate the input. You don't have the Engine assy. part number do you.. I can't seem to get a new GM Hi-Perf catalogue ..they can't keep them in stock it seems.....

I'd like to know what all comes with it..

Thanks ...Stan

Larry,

I probably would have said LS7 if they were available yet! We still don't have any indication what the price will be, but am told the they will be available in crate engine form by late summer.

Stan,

My personal choice is the new 4L65E trans, but If you want to stir a stick, it is pretty hard to beat a T56.
I don't have the part # on the trans or engine, but if you just go to Pace Chevrolet, or Fred Beans Chevrolet, and do a search for them, they will turn up.
Last time I looked, Fred Beans was about the best price in the country.
This is the same drivetrain that is in the new Corvette and in the GTO, so I am still holding out hope that a low mileage take-out will turn up, but at the brand new pricing, it really doesn't make much sense to buy used. The only way that I would consider it is if a sub-15K mile drive turned up.
All of the LS engines will bolt right up to Smallblock motor mounts with some adapter plates.

Thanks John....for the mounting information, I was wondering about that. I haven't decided on auto or stick yet......I had a lot of Muncies in the old days, luved 'em....but nothing but auto's since ...even in the hot rods. So I haven't driven one of the six speeds....decisions, decisions...

......and thanks for the parts sites...I'm headed there now.

Stan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom