Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

93 early and late production

tcxd40

Corvette
(2) Black '93s, purple '81, '69 vintage racer
I would appreciate if those with '93s could look under the hood to see how the upper slpash shield is secured to the hood.
I have been looking at both of my '93s and am finding alot of differences. One is the splash sheilds, my early production 93 (2/16/1993) has them bolted on my other '93, which I have yet to determine the production date, has them riveted on. The hood has no provisions for the clip nut as as I would call them.
Anyone else know of any production changes ?

tcxd40

I would appreciate if those with '93s could look under the hood to see how the upper slpash shield is secured to the hood.
I have been looking at both of my '93s and am finding alot of differences. One is the splash sheilds, my early production 93 (2/16/1993) has them bolted on my other '93, which I have yet to determine the production date, has them riveted on. The hood has no provisions for the clip nut as as I would call them.
Anyone else know of any production changes ?

tcxd40
(2/16/93) would be a later production car,I believe they started building 93's in June of 92.:thumb JimmiJam95's 93 was built in Nov 92 and it has rivets and it's never had any body or paint work except what I did last summer!! :thumb :beer

Seems it is not even easy to determine early production from late unfortunately. My 93, VIN 1G1YY23P2P5111364 was built 2-11-93, like tcxc40 the upper splash shields are bolted on.
I have always considered this an early production car based on the commonly known difference in serpentine drive belts, IE early production uses the double sided V-groove belt, later ones have the more common single sided serp belt.

Seems it is not even easy to determine early production from late unfortunately. My 93, VIN 1G1YY23P2P5111364 was built 2-11-93, like tcxc40 the upper splash shields are bolted on.
I have always considered this an early production car based on the commonly known difference in serpentine drive belts, IE early production uses the double sided V-groove belt, later ones have the more common single sided serp belt.
Not hard at all,Production of the fowlling year model starts in June!!

There were 20,479 Corvettes (Coups and Convertibles) built Total for the 1993 year model!
Your car is the 11,364 th. car down the line,that would make it a Late Production!!:thumb
It's not uncommon for a Early Production car to have a couple things that a late production car would,or it's not uncommon for a Late production to have a couple things that a Early production car would!! Ex-specially close to the middle of production run!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

PS. JimmiJam's has a 1 sided serpentine belt!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

PS PS It sure makes for a Dealership parts man to catch Hell sometimes!!:L:L:L

Not hard at all,Production of the fowlling year model starts in June!!

There were 20,479 Corvettes (Coups and Convertibles) built Total for the 1993 year model!
Your car is the 11,364 th. car down the line,that would make it a Late Production!!:thumb
It's not uncommon for a Early Production car to have a couple things that a late production car would,or it's not uncommon for a Late production to have a couple things that a Early production car would!! Ex-specially close to the middle of production run!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

PS. JimmiJam's has a 1 sided serpentine belt!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

PS PS It sure makes for a Dealership parts man to catch Hell sometimes!!:L:L:L

I understand that model year production begins in July of the previous year, I worked in car dealerships my entire life. I also know when my car was built and the total number of cars produced, but your comment about parts guys catching hell proves my point concerning the definition of early and late, if you try to buy a serpentine belt for the one built in November I'll bet you get the wrong part.:thumb

Well gents,
Some of my questions were answered in the factory manual section 10-4-10 bumpers. Bottom of the page has pictures of the rear end that list first design and second design. I would think that being my '93 with a production date of 2/16/1993 has the first design impact bar frame extension and energy absorber it would be an early production car and it also conforms to the doubled sided ribbed serpentine belt. The one I bought for my wife has a production date of 6/22/1993 and has the second design impact bar and energy absorber.

tcxd40

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom