Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

93 octane

Down south the stations are staying the same and 93 octane is available at all of them. The issue I'm seeing is all stations seem to be putting ethanol in ALL grades of fuel now. I'm from corn country (Iowa) and have been using / seeing ethanol fuel for 20+ years which is fine for the DD but I don't care to run it in the vett. The other difference I'm seeing is up north you had a choice to fill up with the ethanol laced gas or the good stuff down here ya don't.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that E-85 ethanol will eats away at the rubber and some of the metal parts in the Corvettes fuel system? ;help

non ethanol 87/92 octane

First, thanks for the comments on using 87 octane versus 91-93 octane. Where I live, a couple stations offer non-ethanol gas: one has 87 octane, the other 92 octane. The 92 rated fuel is quite a bit more expensive than ethanol-mix premium while the 87 octane non ethanol is about the same price as ethanol-mix premium, so I'm interested in hearing about running 87 octane in my 97' coupe. Since I can drive the car year around here, I'll probably alternate between the two filling up when the needle hits half a tank yielding somewhere around 89 or 90. I guess my main concern is trying to stay away from ethanol laced fuel.:)

I guess my main concern is trying to stay away from ethanol laced fuel.:)

Oh no, not 'Satan Ethanol' again. ;)

church_lady_could_it_be_satan-1.jpg

Oh no, not 'Satan Ethanol' again. ;)

View attachment 23840

I use non-ethanol in chainsaws, string trimmers, mowers etc. Gas engines that can sit for half a year. It seems the ethanol clogs the little ports in the carburetors.

I only use Top Tier gasoline in the Corvette, Volvo, and my truck. I have a lot of time, work and money in the Corvette; so 93 Octane only.
The Volvo S60 gets Top Tier regular. If I fill it with 93 octane, as others have mentioned it is faster and gets better MPG.

"These automakers all recommend Top Tier gas:

• BMW
  • General Motors
  • Fiat Chrysler
  • Honda
  • Toyota
  • Volkswagen
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • Audi "
8 things to know about Top Tier detergent gasoline | Clark Howard

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom