Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

93 Original Tire Replacements

YoDesigner

Corvette
1993 Torch Red Coupe
I bought my 93' LT1 Coupe from my aunt that bought it brand new. It has 30k miles and the original tires are in need of replacement. Everything is original and the wheels on the front and back are 17" diameter. The fronts are 255/45 and rears are 285/40.

I would like to increase the height (1/4 to 3/4") of the car a little because I rub the driveway pulling in/out from home. Do you think just adding new tires of the same size will make that much of an increase? Maybe change the size of the fronts to increase the diameter? I am looking for a better smooth riding tire with low noise. I am not really concerned about performance traction and cornering.

Any advice would be great!

David M
Buzz-On
www.buzzonyoyos.com

Hello, welcome to :CAC

I have the 275/40's on the front and the 285/40's on the rear. I'm not sure about the whole idea of increasing ride hieght by increasing tire diameter as a practical solution but I could be wrong...
I was considering going to 315/40's on the back once I burn the last of my rear skins this spring. (assuming they will fit OK)
RJS

RJ, you'll need 11" wheels.

Yo, I've got a set of GY Eagle HP 255's that are original from a 96, very little wear, I'll let go cheap if you're interested. Pic's available. Welcome to the forum :w

The difference in tire diameter between a 255/45, 275/40 and even a 315/35 is not all that great. It's probably less than 1/2" or so so that would be only a 1/4" change in height. A 275/40 or 285/40 is about the widest you can safely go in the front without running the risk of tire/fenderwell interference. 93 front wheels are 8.5" wide so a 275/40 may not look right on them. The optional suspension package (Z07) included 9.5" wide front wheels.

One thing to do with steep driveways, or any driveway that has bumps or raised portions, is to enter and leave at an angle. I have a friend that has a very steep driveway (around 30 degrees!) and I can easily drive my 92 vert up and down as long as I go very slow and enter or exit at about a 45 degree angle. you can change ride height a bit simply by making sure you have 35psi in all 4 tires. It might ride a bit rougher, but it's a free test you can do.

Coupes sit a bit lower than verts as the verts have an X-brace that sticks down about an inch below the body.

RJSROCKET said:
Thanks 451. I guess I'm running as wide a tire as I can go now then, right?
RJS

That'd be about it RJ. Ive seen the effect of running 315's on 9.5's. The sidewalls buldge and the center of the tire doesn't really get to the road. It's kinda like a minimized U or cup ya might say :beer

Solution?

Thanks for all the advice and offers. I am thinking about changing the fronts from 255/45 to 255/50. I calculate the differance will be about 1 inch in overall height/diameter of the tire. That should give me the 1/2" from center I need.

This tire size is available for the front and I tried checking on increasing the backs by 5 also (285/40 to 285/45) but these tires do not appear to be available. So I guess I will have to keep the same tire size for the back. Maybe just changing the fronts wont be to noticeable and at least my speedometer wont be affected by only changing the front size.

The driveway I have is narrow 1 car type. I can prevent a driveway rub pulling in by going in at an angle, but its hard to do backing out.....

What's everyones favorite tire for low noise and comfort today? Any tires to stay away from?

David M
Buzz-On
www.buzzonyoyos.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom