Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

94 lumbar pump

94conv.

Corvette
1994 red convertible
I have a 94 with the sport seats and the lumbar pump seems to be locked up. I can hear the switch clicking but and feel a jerk on the motor but thats it. I have found one place that had the 94 pump for 225+ . is there any other option? How would one rebuild this motor or free it up? why is the 94 to 96 pump so hard to find and expensive when you do find it?

Just recently had the pump from my 95 out. Got a surprize as I was under the impression the pumps used a rubber diaphram to force air into the bladders.

No diaphram just some centrifugal vanes at the end of the pump.

As it turns out it wasn't the pump, but a connection problem to do with the 2 black boxes under the pas/seat. Checked all connections & it started working ok.:confused

Just recently had the pump from my 95 out. Got a surprize as I was under the impression the pumps used a rubber diaphram to force air into the bladders.

No diaphram just some centrifugal vanes at the end of the pump.

As it turns out it wasn't the pump, but a connection problem to do with the 2 black boxes under the pas/seat. Checked all connections & it started working ok.:confused
How did you get it out of the brass holder, looks like you have to drill out the rivet

How did you get it out of the brass holder, looks like you have to drill out the rivet

Yes, drill out rivit. I think I used a small screw & nut replacement.

When you take the pump out of the cylinder, there is a rubber cushion on the bottom that has to be handled very carefully. Better yet, if you have a 12v source somewhere I'd check the pump before taking it apart.
With no load on it..it goes pretty fast.

There's a black box on the right side of seat frame. My problem was in there. It needed some attention & a couple of good raps to get it going.

Curious to know the type of pump you have..diaphram or??? There are a bunch of hose connections under both seat cushions.

I have a 95, same pump. Its definitely different from the earlier ones with the diaphragm that some fix with a piece of rubber. I'm having the same problem find a pump.

Another issue I can warn you about is the center switch, it goes south. Check that as well. I replaced mine and the pump started to work again. Test the pump though before you go to the expense of finding a new switch panel.

Those hose connections? They go to the bladders in your backrest. If you take them off, make sure you put them on again in the same order. Otherwise your pump will cut on and then off really quickly. I had a long post with JimBobC4 on this issue so do a search and you'll find some ideas and he told me the order of the hoses if you have that issue.

I have the same type of pump as you. Its the black box with the rubber insulator then the motor. I could hear the switch click and feel the motor jolt, it just wouldnt take off. So I finally got it off and it would work just not under load. So I may have found one a used one. New ones are expensive if you can find one. Ecklers is like 269.oo and corvette america, or corvette central had one for 226.00. Theyre going to call me tomorrow when they find out if they have a good used one. Ill post the price and location when they call. I also took my old one to a motor shop here in town on my way to work to see if they could fix it. I never used it really so hopefully if they take it apart and clean it, it will be ok. If so I'll have a spare if this other place comes through. thanks for the replies also, I was lost when I started looking for this thing, everyone carries the ones for 84-93 and Jasco, who may be the place that originally made it, not sure must have went out of business or changed its number. Like I said, I never used it much before but Im getting older now and I think it may come in handy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom