Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'95 Interior Courtesy Lamps

compyelc4

Corvette
'95 LT1 Coupe, Comp Yell; C6 Roadster, Vel Yell
My courtesy lamps work intermittently (lately, hardly ever). I have seen a post similar to this before. Someone suggested that the problem was a dirty switch. Another suggested a poor ground. I'm suspecting the ground because I removed both switches and ohmed them. They work fine. When I shorted the hot female (okay, cool it guys) contact ends together, nothing. I expected that.

I can manually activate the lamps from the headlight console, however. They work without a miss this way.

How can I find out where the switch grounds out on the chassis, so I can check it. Short of that, I am also suspected the "timed relay" thingy (you know, that is the device that delays the "on" state for about 30 seconds.

PS - All other electrics work fine!

Rabbit

Corvette
2004 C5 coupe, MSGM & 2014 Cad SRX Crystal red
If your referring to the door ajar switches, they ground at the rear of the door near the latch. I would also cover the ambient light sensor with a piece of tape to see if that may be the problem?

compyelc4

Corvette
Rabbit,

Yes, they are the door adjar swithches I refer to. I am aware of the sensor. I do cover it to make sure.

Funny thing. Last evening I opened the deck lid. I unlatched the rear shade and the lights came on. Just for grins I manually depressed the hatch door adjar switch thinking that switch might have something to do with the problem (what, I have no clue). I noticed that the more I depressed and released that swithch the more the lights activated. I shot some circuit cleaner into the switch and got to the point (after about 100 depresses) that the interior lights would come on and go fine. Problem solved right? I closed the hatch, opened the driver door, and sure enough, the lights came on. Problem really solved for sure, right? You know what's commin'! A few minutes later I returned to the garage to re-test my miracle cure.... no worky!

:r

Rabbit

Corvette
2004 C5 coupe, MSGM & 2014 Cad SRX Crystal red
Have you checked for CCM codes? They can tell if your courtesy lamp relays are ok.

compyelc4

Corvette
Rabbit,

No I haven't. Was not aware of that. I will.

compyelc4

Corvette
Rabbit,

Are CCM and ECM codes one and the same. If so, I do not see any type of code listing for light relays.

-=Jeff=-

Corvette
1990 ZR-1
compyelc4 said:
Rabbit,

Are CCM and ECM codes one and the same. If so, I do not see any type of code listing for light relays.

No CCM and ECM are 2 different animals.. you need to look in the Helms manual the see how to access the Codes for the CCM. The CCM controls the light delay, Also I think the ground for those switches is near each passage for the wires going into the door on each side.. Basically on the kick panels

compyelc4

Corvette
Jeff,

Thanks. I'll do some poking around.

BTW, I love that black stripe down the center of your vette! Did you have that done?

-=Jeff=-

Corvette
1990 ZR-1
compyelc4 said:
Jeff,

Thanks. I'll do some poking around.

BTW, I love that black stripe down the center of your vette! Did you have that done?

Yes, when I had the body update done I had the car repainted white and had the stripe painted on as well. even the little 1/4" pinstripe is painted on

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom