Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"96 Analog or Digital

MiMitch

Corvette
1996 Coupe
I have a '96 Vette with both an analog & digital temp. gauge. The trouble is that they both don't agree. The digital reads about 25 degrees cooler than the analog. Which one do I believe? The oil temperature gage, both analog & digital read approx. the same. Why the difference with the water temp.? Thanks in advance for any info. or advice, MiMitch

MiMitch said:
I have a '96 Vette with both an analog & digital temp. gauge. The trouble is that they both don't agree. The digital reads about 25 degrees cooler than the analog. Which one do I believe? The oil temperature gage, both analog & digital read approx. the same. Why the difference with the water temp.? Thanks in advance for any info. or advice, MiMitch

This is normal on all the LTX corvettes they are both correct.
One reads from the cylinder head and the other from the front of the engine.

The analog water temp gauge is not linear in its display. As the needle moves towards the hot side, the temp values in degrees do not increase as much as when the needle is toward the cold side. Once the engine is at operating temp, relatively small changes in the coolant temp will hardly be noticable on the analog gauge needle.

The digital coolant temp is more accurate and I would trust it far beyond the analog gauge.

The sensor on the front of the water pump is for ECM inputs; the ECM controls the cooling fans based on that sensor's output. The sensor in the cylinder head is for temp gauge readings.

According to the owner's manual the digital gauge is accurate.

Save The Wave! :w

MiMitch said:

Thanks to all that replied. I have learned to disregard the analog gage and to view the digital gage when needed. Have a safe and happy New Year, MiMitch

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom