Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

!990 Corvette Conv L98(8 vin) won't idle and shifts with throttle full at 6500 abouve redline

jalberghini

Corvette
1990 L98 convertablel corvette 1977 coupe corvette
I have a !990 Corvette Convertible L98(8 vin) and won't idle but sometime will idle about 80 percent of the time it just stalls and won't start with out giving it gas the rest of the time starts fine.
The car had set for two years,I added dry gas to it and a full tank of super unleaded gas.I was tending to think it may be the injectors but I can't figure out why it only does about 80% of the time and the thing is that if I have my foot on the gas just a tiny bit I can get it in gear and drive it around. If I want to put my foot on the gas really fast going about 20 miles an hour right to the floor it will sometimes give a little backfire but the weirdest thing is it red lines before it shifts so it goes right up to around 6000 or 6500 RPM before it shifts through the gears. I was also thinking it could be
the TSP throttle sensor position or an idle air control ISA. Any thoughts on what would cause any of these including the late shifting? And there is no service engine light on and no codes?

Last edited:
I have a !990 Corvette Convertible L98(8 vin) and won't idle but sometime will idle about 80 percent of the time it just stalls and won't start with out giving it gas the rest of the time starts fine.
The car had set for two years,I added dry gas to it and a full tank of super unleaded gas.I was tending to think it may be the injectors but I can't figure out why it only does about 80% of the time and the thing is that if I have my foot on the gas just a tiny bit I can get it in gear and drive it around. If I want to put my foot on the gas really fast going about 20 miles an hour right to the floor it will sometimes give a little backfire but the weirdest thing is it red lines before it shifts so it goes right up to around 6000 or 6500 RPM before it shifts through the gears. I was also thinking it could be
the TSP throttle sensor position or an idle air control ISA. Any thoughts on what would cause any of these including the late shifting? And there is no service engine light on and no codes?

Does the MIL come on during bulb check?

How'd the car run two years ago before you "parked" it?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom