Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A little advice please

yellow77

Corvette
1977, Bright Yellow
Guys, I have been off the board for quite a while now, for which I would firstly like to apologize. I am in a situation where I could use some honest advice / opinions.
About 5 years ago when I bought the vette, I had just sold my previous project because it was finished, and I wanted something more performance oriented. I jumped into the vette because, she looked pretty good to the uneducated eye, and there was plenty of room for improvement.
Firstly, this is a list of what I have done:
1: New seats, dash pad, guages, stereo, door panels.
2: Steeroids rack and pinion
3: VB&P monoleaf front suspension, lightweight upper and lower control arms.
4: Tires
5: Brakes and calipers
6: Rear suspension bushings
7: New weatherstripping
8: Hot Rod Air, heat and air conditioning.
9: ZZ3 crate motor / with nitrous, (more for appearance than anything), although she ran a 12.7 at 110.
smiley.gif

Now for the problems
1: The body is really rough
2: The car had previously been hit in the left rear and now has a 80-82 rear bumper cover.
3: The car had been hit left front, th4e front has been patched leaving a gap at the front left of the hood, and the replacement front bumper cover has been "pugged" into the fenders which is now starting to crack.
4: The bottom of the front crossmember had been pretty badly dented.
5: The car never really feels stable on the road, and although I have been told it ,looks ok, I dont think it tracks properly.
6: There is a 1/8" wide crack running from the floor to the top of the firewall where the factory cooling fan used to be.

Now, this is where I need some advice. The car is probably worth between 5K and 7K. I Dont earn a lot of money, but I would really like to disassemble the car and build it again from the frame up. If I was to do this, I think it would need a new body. The frame, also, may not be straight. The car probably would still only be worth about 10K.

If she was yours, what would you do?

Cheers

Richard

...If she was yours, what would you do?...

Take her to a reputable frame shop (one you trust), let them put her on the rack, and check her out.

I agree with you: the frame is probably tweaked a little.

I wouldn't want to spend any real money on her unless the frame can be straightened.

Good Luck.

:)

Its only worth money if you plan on selling it. Just a quick scan on ebay I found this car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...ategoryZ6168QQihZ019QQitemZ290080910144QQrdZ1

If your hoping to get money back on it or even break even its going to be a toss up either way. Just my humble opinion. I have the same thing going with my car. I paid 6300. for it, put another 2k into and then the tranny went. I had to decide to sink more money in or take a loss. So I got a new stroker motor, a new tranny and a bunch of other things. Will i ever make a profit on this car, hell no. Will I drive it for many years, I sure hope so!

Body wise its in good shape and the frame looks good, and lucklily I don't have to pay labor so that sure helps.

Good luck, its a tough choice.

if its your dream car and you plan to hold on to it for 20 years . do it... if not sell it .. you could find a vette with a good body and frame and work on speed over time just my thoughts

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom