Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A little tip for finding TDC (manual only)

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
A friend helped me with this:

Anyone who, like me, has gone mad trying to get a socket on the crank pulley bolt and tried to turn their engine over to align the timing marks should appreciate this.

Take it from me, on a Callaway it must be impossible 'cos I tried everything I had to get on that bolt!

Here's the tip: Put your vette in gear and let off the brake. Grab a front tyre and rotate it forward, rocking it back and forward and you'll see the crank turning, until the timing mark on the pulley aligns with the mark on the timing case.

I found I could do this on my own as it doesn't involve as much effort as you may think. You effectively only "push" the car forward a few inches.

Take the distributor cap off to confirm it's aligned with cylinder #1. If not you can be 360 degrees out and have to go round one more turn.

When the marks are aligned, pull up the brake, take the car out of gear and you're ready to work on your car!

Beats spinning the engine over with the starter trying to get it to stop at the right point, flattening the battery in the process...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom