Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A lot is riding on Volt launch for GM!

I think they could use 1 of these...

four-leaf-clover.gif

BTW - Nice signature picture/banner. :rotfl​

The Asians will introduce their own electric car shorty with twice the distance ,twice the performance and a third less cost.

"The battery can be recharged by plugging it into an electrical outlet." I think the volt is going to be successful, And I mean that in a positive way, But it's only going to be useful to a select segment of people. First off if you live in a city, how are you going to charge the battery if you have to park on the street four houses away from yours ? A 100' extension cord ? I don't think so, your neighbors are more than likely plug their own battery powered appliances in for a fast charge. Then there the "fine Print" about a chevy volt, of any electrical vehicle. You see if you plug it into a standard outlet, it takes 10 hours to fully charge the battery, but if you hire an electrician to run 220volt to your garage or where-ever, it'll only take 3 hours to recharge the battery. Great !

Ok so here's the thing, Considering the cost of the car, and the tax incentives, how much are you saving in the long run ? I ask that because I just got my Electric bill and it has an 8% increase in the cost of electricity, AND they have a request in to the Pennsylvania Public Utilty Board, already to grant them another 8% increase in our electric rates. And then there's that recharging deal. What if you run an extension cord to your car and someone comes down the street and trips over the extension cord and decides to sue you? I mean I can see the Personal Injury Lawyers commercials already. I'm sure that despite the cost, it's main element is the cleaning up of our environment, not how much money it cost's to operate. But I'm still confused at how your going to use it in a city or a condo building. Do you need to request a permit from the condo board to plug in your car?

And then how do detail or analyze exactly how much your saving in the long run ? You have to buy gasoline for the one motor and then you have to plug it in to your home's electricity wiring grid ? But please don't get me wrong, we need to cut our addiction to oil, but this chevy Volt is only going to suit a very slim segment in our society, and then there's the cost. It's not going to cost $25K or $29K, but from what I've been able to read, it's going to cost more like $35K. I know we have to do what we can to clean up our environment, and I want clean air, but I'm doubtful at this vehicle. The Nissen 'Leaf' is even worse. It runs completely on the battery. How the heck do you deal with a 100 mile useful battery route radius ? ;shrug

Plus factor in the cost of replacing the battery's years down the road, it's probably going to make replacing an engine or transmission seem like peanuts (well, maybe at least really expensive peanuts). On top of that, if I understand this correctly, we don't even have the power grids to support electric vehicles, but the good news is that we are going to have nuclear powerplants in the near future to supply the same grids that doesn't exist at least as of yet. Huh?

Bottom Line

The final reality is this:
Oil is the same as Drugs, until you get the MONEY out it, you'll never see the end of it.

I just don't see electric cars as the best future vehicle unless there is some major breakthrough in batteries or quick charging. Hydrogen, yes. Alky, not unless some other source than grain becomes available since the 6,800,000,000 people on this over populated planet would like to eat more than once per day.

Electric cars are touted to be for "city people" but all of you have brought up some very good points that never dawned on me since I live out in the sticks and would need at least 150 mile range to even consider one and would prefer 200 mile @ 70mph with the A/C on.

I agree!!
First they showed us a concept car that anyone would want either gas or electric that would cost ~$30, then they came out with the final design which looked to me like a Malibu for and est.$40k. But they hope for a govt subsidy to bring it down, so why not just steal more money from the govt in the first place??
Then SO many live in cold climates where batteries are not happy. In hot climates you will need A/C.
The Volt is really a battery powered car that is (gas engine) recharged . I think it can also be recharged at home.
One thing that will save a few bucks will be the fact that you dont (YET) pay a road tax on electricity. This will have to be addressed in the future.

Battery replacement costs, high initial cost, Asian low price competition, massive depreciation.
My vote is that it will sell well for a few weeks then die.

Too bad perpetual motion can't be invented! You know, a car with a battery that charges itself while you drive so is fully self contained.

Too bad perpetual motion can't be invented! You know, a car with a battery that charges itself while you drive so is fully self contained.

:wAFAIW - the Volt is such a machine - except not perpetual motion!!
I think the Camry is such a car - it never stops.:boogie

The volt is battery driven, however it is recharged via its own engine onboard. They predict optimistically that the range will be ~40 miles before the engine kicks in.:W

Maybe NASCAR races will be shortened to 40 miles before a mandatory 3hr pit stop for re changing prior to the finial 40 miles .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom