Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A Story For Everyone. With a little Pain

sriat

Corvette
1984 Bright Red Coupe
Couple of weeks ago I am out of town to where my folks live. I have an 84 (45k)my dad has an 85 (74k). My dad has had this vette for almost a year. (year xmas). He has driven it out of town, around and such. Put the usual stuff in it.

Tires
Shocks
Master Cylander
AC

He is not the mechanic type so I have done some, local shop he trusts did the rest.

Back to my story. I have a company car and am a bit scared to drive for personal when I see my folks. So I ask if I can use the Vette. Could have borrowed several other newer cars. But hey, Vette, Cool....

Go to a old Highschool buddies house (FYI just had 15 year reunion, didnt go) and any way at 3am I get in the vette to go home and the windows are fogged up. But cool night, expected. Get halfway home and Poof steam everywhere. Heater core took a MAJOR dump. I have a hot tub on the passenger floor. (Good thing I had no passengers). So I pull into a parking lot (Lighted) and called may parents to come get me (Havnt done that in over a decade) Meanwhile I look in the parking lot in down town (city of 350k) and realize that there are people just sitting in trucks, walking around (Again 3am on a mon night) So I decide to walk to the IHOP across the street. Car is insured. I am worth more (Debateable)

Here comes the pain. Next morning to my relief the Vette is still there as I left it. We added couple of gallons of water and drive a block to local (Unknown)Shop. They say they can handle. Should be about $350. I know I can fix but have to go out of town for 2 weeks, plus tow bill. Deal.

Dad gets call(Next day I am 500 miles away now) They cant fix. (Not sure why) So he has it towed to GM dealer. Any way $1050 it has new heater core. (PS no other work done)

Moral of story, If out late and not yours borrow the new car.

That stinks. I was going to say if you found a place that will change out the heater core in a C4 for $350 I want to know who it is, as that is a bargain. (well if they do it right).

Are you from Wichita? Or is that where this happened? (deduction from your info and the post)

I live in Hays, Drive to KS. Drive West. Stop get gas, drive west, then there is Hays. However the folks live outside of KC KS

I hate to ask, but how's the carpet? When my heater core went in my old Cutlass I ended up having to replace the carpet since I could find nothing to get that smell out:(.

Well the whole interrior stinks. Only been a week or so. I did have a stain that I think was the start of the Heater Core going out. Anyone out there know if the carpet will stain? Or if there is anything to get the smell out?

Well the whole interrior stinks. Only been a week or so. I did have a stain that I think was the start of the Heater Core going out. Anyone out there know if the carpet will stain? Or if there is anything to get the smell out?

Hi.
Same thing happened to me.
My core went, and flooded my carpet with anti-freeze.
To remove,and to get out as much contaminant as possible, I used water, and a little bit soap, and flooded the carpet, then used my shop-vac to suck out the water and contaminants.

Then park in the sun for a while.

Good luck.

When I bought a new Silverado 2500 in 2000, the very first trip my wife and I took the dang heater core sprung a leak. The thing that ****ed me off was that even though it was covered by warranty and replaced, the interior always had that anti freeze smell. Moral of story, take the vette, there still more fun to drive.

When my heater core leaked, I removed the carpet and scrubbed it down good, glad I bought the mass back carpet instead of that cheap jute-backed. Anyway, let it sit in the sun for a couple of days until it was bone dry and installed it. There's really no other way to get rid of the smell of coolant.

When my heater core leaked, I removed the carpet and scrubbed it down good, glad I bought the mass back carpet instead of that cheap jute-backed. Anyway, let it sit in the sun for a couple of days until it was bone dry and installed it. There's really no other way to get rid of the smell of coolant.
Yelp, that is the only way to do it.
I am surprised that a GM dealer did the work for only a grand. I spent almost that much on Band-Aids when I replaced mine.:cry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom