Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A Winter Carbon Monoxide Warning

Several winters ago I went into my garage early one morning to work on my '71. I got my 50,000 BTU heater going and then I started the engine and after about 5 minutes I began feeling dizzy and then I suddenly felt REAL hungry. I stumbled out of my garage with the intent on going into my house to grab a quick bite to eat and it slowly dawned on me...................I was feeling the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning and had I remained in my closed garage just few minutes longer I likely would have passed out then died. Carbon monoxide poisoning acts just like "Hypoxia" as it dulls the brain and you don't realize what is happening to you until it's too late. As carbon monoxide is considerably heavier than air it'll fill your garage from the bottom up so short people drop dead faster than tall people.

I never suspected I could get carbon monoxide poisoning in just a few minutes in my rather large 28' X 32' garage. So this is a reminder to you................NEVER run your car's engine in a closed garage even for a few minutes.

Several winters ago I went into my garage early one morning to work on my '71. I got my 50,000 BTU heater going and then I started the engine and after about 5 minutes I began feeling dizzy and then I suddenly felt REAL hungry. I stumbled out of my garage with the intent on going into my house to grab a quick bite to eat and it slowly dawned on me...................I was feeling the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning and had I remained in my closed garage just few minutes longer I likely would have passed out then died. Carbon monoxide poisoning acts just like "Hypoxia" as it dulls the brain and you don't realize what is happening to you until it's too late. As carbon monoxide is considerably heavier than air it'll fill your garage from the bottom up so short people drop dead faster than tall people.

I never suspected I could get carbon monoxide poisoning in just a few minutes in my rather large 28' X 32' garage. So this is a reminder to you................NEVER run your car's engine in a closed garage even for a few minutes.

You just figured that out a few winters ago?

Explains a few more things........

Explains a few more things.

I had always known the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning but until several winters ago I had never ran any engine in a closed garage other than starting it AS I opened my remote-controlled garage door. What really surprised me was how FAST it happened and how carbon monoxide dulls the senses so a person isn't aware of their being poisoned. What I remember most is the feeling of EXTREME hunger right before I went outside into the chilly air. Once I got into my house I noticed my face and arms had turned extremely red which is a sure sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The purpose of this thread is to warn others of how fast they can get overcome by carbon monoxide and not to encourage others to make fun of me.

I had always known the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning but until several winters ago I had never ran any engine in a closed garage other than starting it AS I opened my remote-controlled garage door. What really surprised me was how FAST it happened and how carbon monoxide dulls the senses so a person isn't aware of their being poisoned. What I remember most is the feeling of EXTREME hunger right before I went outside into the chilly air. Once I got into my house I noticed my face and arms had turned extremely red which is a sure sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The purpose of this thread is to warn others of how fast they can get overcome by carbon monoxide and not to encourage others to make fun of me.

Well, I guess at least you figured it out at some point.

Carbon monoxide poisoning doesn't care if it's winter either, it's an all season killer.

Doesn't lack of oxygen turn one blue?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I think you're right. However with carbon monoxide poisoning you turn pink/red.
I'll take your word for it and not find out first hand!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

The other obvious problem is a cold engine that is fast idling will produce a LOT more carbon dioxide because it's running a lot richer. I had always known the dangers of carbon monoxide but never realized just how fast a garage can reach dangerous levels. So the purpose of this thread is to remind everyone of the dangers of running an engine in a closed garage even for a very short time.

So you have a shop with a heater as an ignition source and a covered 5 gallon bucket of air cleaner cleaning solution?

That's sounds like the making of a BJ you'll never forget....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom