Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Above the Mason/Dixon?...suggestions needed

JonM

Corvette
84 Coupe
Here is the problem…My garage isn’t heated and I don’t have a basement in this house. I have a cabinet the size of a coffin in my garage where I keep all my wax, paint thinners, caulk, lubricants and alike. I was wondering what I possibly could use to heat up this cabinet to just above freezing in the wintertime. I need to take in to account that some flammables are stored inside the cabinet so safety is of the utmost concern. I have thought about a heating pad, or a light bulb, but it just seems to be a little bit dangerous having those on 24/7. What do you northern boys/girls do with your liquids during the winter time?

Here in Canada.... we have "Battery Blankets". They are low wattage electric blankets big enough to wrap around a car battery.

MA04U_DR_____3251.jpg

A Battery Blanket warms battery to extend battery life and prevent loss of starting power due to cold tempertures. (Does not get very hot)

You could put one of these in your cabinet for $20 - $50

How about a 25 Watt light bulb. Kinda like an old "Easy-Bake Oven".

oops, I re-read and see that you thought of that..... I don't think a small bulb would be a problem. I keep my stuff in the basement, but as you don't have one, how about the top shelf in a closet or in the attic?

Subfixer said:
How about a 25 Watt light bulb. Kinda like an old "Easy-Bake Oven".

oops, I re-read and see that you thought of that..... I don't think a small bulb would be a problem. I keep my stuff in the basement, but as you don't have one, how about the top shelf in a closet or in the attic?
In the attic ;LOL ...this is a picture of my attic (in my living room) last year when I forgot to turn the water pipe off that runs in the attic...

You could put a small radiator (like a car heater) and circulate warm water through it?
Have a container of water with a fish tank heater in it?

(This is starting to get complicated)

I am thinking a bulb is the simpliest way. Have the bulb in the bottom of the box... this way the heat will rise and the cold will fall.

OR

Put glass on the top of the coffin.... and use heat lamps above the glass. (which uses InfraRed to transfer heat)

OR

Buy a cat, and let it live in the box ;)

hello, back in the days when Disney was young. we only had one fire station. basically a fancy mobile home with a canopy for the trucks. when the temps got close to freezing(hard to believe,but true) the FD had to keep the diesel fuel from thickening. they simply put spotlamps under the fuel tanks to keep them somewhat warm!
you're not trying to heat,just merely creating a warm enviroment near the cabinet/coffin??

i'm sure a good spot lamp will do that for you. just my opinion!!

"First there was hurricane Charley, now Frances is bearing down on us. Can't a guy get a break?"

Robin

you ARE getting a break......LOTS of them. Pretty much everything the hurricanes touch they break!
LOL

seriously, are you in an area that's in danger on the hurricanes current path?

there are small heaters called Golden Rods that you can put in a gun safe to keep the moisture down. One of those would work. On second thought you might need more than one.

Grizzly said:
there are small heaters called Golden Rods that you can put in a gun safe to keep the moisture down. One of those would work. On second thought you might need more than one.
We may have a winner here....

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/359695

Goldenrod Dehumidifier 12" Detachable Plug
Made of lightweight alloy with a tungsten heating element. Generates a low level of heat that removes moisture from the air. Uses 8 watts of power and covers up to 100 cubic feet of space. Has a 10 year guarantee.
Includes: 1 x 12" Goldenrod with a 6' cord, .890" diameter tube. Has a detachable plug for easy installation.
Made by Buenger Enterprises

Barry yes we are right in the project path. they are guessing orlando will get 100+mph winds and up to 20" of rain depending on the speed when it makes landfall.
oh yeah, and hurricanes spawn tornados....are we lucky or what?

robin

sorry about hi-jacking your thread..back to your regular scheduled thread

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom