Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ABS modulator faulty?

BulletTime

Corvette
2000 Sebring Silver 6-spd
A Chevy mechanic told me my ABS modulator is leaking, so I will need a new one...for $1981.00 plus tax! I'm getting a second opinion from an independent, reliable mechanic, of course, but, 1) Does this sound like dealer overkill/gouging? 2) Does that price sound right? 3) Would that be a symptom to cause the Service ABS/Traction Control/Active Handling message to come on? BTW, the Chevy mechanic also said that he's never had to replace one on a Vette (he's the only one at the dealership who works on Vettes), so I'm wondering if doing so is a rare thing.

If it's anything like mine, you could just ignore it. I purchased my car 2.5 years ago from the last owner who also had it for a couple of years. The ABS has not worked for all of that. The brakes are not unsafe...they just work like the old days...no ABS pulsing.

I do intend to replace it one day, but each year has a project and the ABS is not slated for this year.

If the light annoys you, you could disconnect the plug.

BulletTime said:
A Chevy mechanic told me my ABS modulator is leaking, so I will need a new one...for $1981.00 plus tax! I'm getting a second opinion from an independent, reliable mechanic, of course, but, 1) Does this sound like dealer overkill/gouging? 2) Does that price sound right? 3) Would that be a symptom to cause the Service ABS/Traction Control/Active Handling message to come on? BTW, the Chevy mechanic also said that he's never had to replace one on a Vette (he's the only one at the dealership who works on Vettes), so I'm wondering if doing so is a rare thing.

If it's the control module that's leaking GM Parts Direct has them for $525.00. The rest is up to you to decide if you're getting ripped off or not. A dealer ripping you off? Probably!

Thanks for the feedback. Disconnecting the plug or just going with GM Parts Direct is a much better option.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom