Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ABS Module

safety_match

Corvette
1990 Bright Red roadster
When I bought my 1990 two years ago I bought it with the information from the previous owner that the ABS Module needed replacing. When you initially start up the car there is no warning light, but within a mile or so the light comes on.
I'm ok with driving it without ABS but I'd like to make it right this spring when it comes out of hibernation.
What is the current price of this module and are there any alternative ABS modules from other GM models.
I ask this question because there are many GM parts that are identical mechanically but have different model parts numbers and sometimes....gasp...higher prices!

Thanks,
Safety

safety_match said:
When I bought my 1990 two years ago I bought it with the information from the previous owner that the ABS Module needed replacing. When you initially start up the car there is no warning light, but within a mile or so the light comes on.
I'm ok with driving it without ABS but I'd like to make it right this spring when it comes out of hibernation.
What is the current price of this module and are there any alternative ABS modules from other GM models.
I ask this question because there are many GM parts that are identical mechanically but have different model parts numbers and sometimes....gasp...higher prices!

Thanks,
Safety

I don't recall the price, but I've read posts in the past on this. They are SPENDY. Several hundred $'s. I think there is an other application though, maybe Comaro or blazer, I don't recall, but if no one else chimes in, I can find out. There are also aftermarket parts I believe.

I hate anti-lock, maybe I'd consder selling mine and disableing it if you're interested :s

I was throwing the abs asr light and it was a combo of the map sensor and the computer in the rear .
I removed the computer and it was full of water dried it out and it worked fine.
I just happened on it by luck I had the problem for about 6 mths.
Their is no seal around the computer and if its shot they only run about $400.00.:cry

redc4corvette said:
I was throwing the abs asr light and it was a combo of the map sensor and the computer in the rear .
I removed the computer and it was full of water dried it out and it worked fine.
I just happened on it by luck I had the problem for about 6 mths.
Their is no seal around the computer and if its shot they only run about $400.00.:cry
How did it get water in it??? Did you try to drive it to Oahu??? :L

Randy:w

safety_match said:
When you initially start up the car there is no warning light, but within a mile or so the light comes on.
when the ABS light come on.. does it stay on?

if it goes on an off, it is the ABS unit running a self-test. The self-test runs first thing after you start the car and start moving.

Now the ABS Pump, ECM or a wheel sensor could be bad.. I would check the codes since 1990 added the ability to check ABS codes.

As fo rthe ABS ECM, I picked one up for a 1990 off of one of the forums for $40.. the guy selling it bought it and his car still had the same issue.

I am using that ABS ECM to finish my wiring conversion of my 89..

Moonunit 451 said:
I don't recall the price, but I've read posts in the past on this. They are SPENDY. Several hundred $'s. I think there is an other application though, maybe Comaro or blazer, I don't recall, but if no one else chimes in, I can find out. There are also aftermarket parts I believe.

I hate anti-lock, maybe I'd consder selling mine and disableing it if you're interested :s
If you could source another less expensive application I would appreciate it. Often there are identical applications that are the exact same unit under a different parts number.

I don't know if your 86 module is exact replacement, but if it is...how much?

Thanks

-=Jeff=- said:
when the ABS light come on.. does it stay on?
if it goes on an off, it is the ABS unit running a self-test. The self-test runs first thing after you start the car and start moving.

Yes, it stays on until the car is next shut down.

Now the ABS Pump, ECM or a wheel sensor could be bad.. I would check the codes since 1990 added the ability to check ABS codes.

The previous owner claimed that he had replaced the wheel sensor with no luck and had been then informed that it was the module at fault. I will however, re-check it before I order any new parts to be safe.

As fo rthe ABS ECM, I picked one up for a 1990 off of one of the forums for $40.. the guy selling it bought it and his car still had the same issue.

I am using that ABS ECM to finish my wiring conversion of my 89..
But if one comes up for $40 I would buy it on spec regardless...anyone???

Thanks, Safety

I see them on Ebay all the time. Do a search for 1990 corvette and you will be amazed what is available. Sometimes real inexpensive from a front end wreak!.

Good Luck

Is the computer for the ABS in the back near the pump? I don't remember seeing it anywhere. Mine does the grunt when backing out of the garage , about 20 ft out. This is the self check ?

safety_match said:
If you could source another less expensive application I would appreciate it. Often there are identical applications that are the exact same unit under a different parts number.

I don't know if your 86 module is exact replacement, but if it is...how much?

Thanks

Sorry, I think I might have been confused with some terminology here. I thought you were talking hardware. I'll keep an eye on the post, and if someone doesn't have an answer I'll try and do some research on the parts issue, but it sounds like there aren't compatible parts on the years from whats been said here :gap

No I did not drive it to Honolulu Yet! gas prices to high here.The top was down and the rain came down if you have ever been here when it rains it realy rains.
If it has a problem the light will stay on.Sometimes it does set a code but don't count on it.

ABS ECM is located with the pump in the rear compartment

As for used parts Call Jason at vette2vette
www.vette2vette.com
1-815-673-6200

Tell him Jeff with the 89 vette with 91 interior sent you. He should have what you need

Be sure you have checked the codes, use a scanner if need be. Any ABS parts are pricey. You don't want to be replacing good parts.

Many codes are set by a intermittent bad wheel sensor and a scanner will pinpoint the wheel and the problem, short, open, ground etc.

Ron ... :beer

90 Abs

Shortly after I got mine, the ABS module failed. The GM part new was real pricey, 0ver $1000. I had it replaced with a NAPA part that was about 60% of that price. Its worked fine since then.

Good luck. Make sure you replace the brake fluid regularly also just as a precaution against other problems.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom