Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ABS

safety_match

Corvette
1990 Bright Red roadster
I have purchased a good used ABS computer. As the existing computer is in a tight spot I would like to test the new computer before going to the trouble of making a swap. Ideally, I would like to drive the car around for a couple days to make sure it fixes the problem.

There is one 4" 35-pin plug and two mounting brackets. Can I just leave the existing abs computer in place, lay the new computer beside it and transfer the plug into the new computer while driving it to prove it is the solution? Or will it cause a problem by not being grounded...I don't want to fry the new or the old one!

thanks, Safetyhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-t...47904QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V#ebayphotohosting

You should be able to just plug and play. The replacement computer can still carry a code from the previous vehicle. In fact, cars in collisions sometimes set a code. After installation, use the procedure in the servcie manual to check codes on the DIC for the ABS. Then clear the codes. Road test and see what happens.

I've had to replace the ABS computer on my 90. The first computer sent was for the 86-89. They will NOT work. Different part number. If you check the part number on the computer module, make sure they are the same. You may even note the same part number but one may be a US made component and the other could be German. They should still have the same part number.

Good luck with this repair.

dlmeyers 90 coupe zf6 3 speed shocks

Thanks for the response. I have been told that my used replacement came out of a 1990 ZR1 with 63,000 miles so it should be compatible.

I see your point about it possibly carrying a code form the previous vehicle, I never thought about that. Without clearing it, I could be led astray by what appears to be codes from my car but could actually be from the ZR1. I would have to imagine that the previous car was totalled...who would piece out a ZR1 otherwise?

Does it need to be grounded while I do my test drive or is it grounded through the electrical plug?

thanks, Safety

I would attatch a ground strap.Any computer is sensitive to lack of a good ground.

Glenn
:w

dlmeyers said:
You should be able to just plug and play. The replacement computer can still carry a code from the previous vehicle. In fact, cars in collisions sometimes set a code. After installation, use the procedure in the servcie manual to check codes on the DIC for the ABS. Then clear the codes. Road test and see what happens.
There are several codes that can only be cleared with a scan tool.
Like everything else electrical on our plastic cars most of the ABS problems are caused by bad grounding so running a ground strap to a known good ground is always a good idea.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom