Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AC Condenser drain

cruzer99

Corvette
99 Navy Blue Pearl Vert. NCRS Member
I noticed today that my AC didn't leave a puddle under the car when I parked in the garage. Can someone explain where and how to check the drain hose?
It's a 99 conv.
Thanks,

From what I understand, the drain on the passenger side and it gets pluged or the drain hose comes off. Anyone know where or how to check.

:w

the hose is on the passenger side. I can not tell you where exactly but someone here will be able to. Just a FYI, if the drain clogs the water goes into the passenger foot well, so if its wet stop using your AC until you get it fixed.

What corvettecrazy said. The passenger side footwell has a control module hidden in the front of the footwell. You do not want to get this wet.

The A/C drain is on the passenger side against the firewall behind the cylinder head. You can reach in (if your hands are thin enough) and pull it from the firewall and clean it out. It's much easier to remove than to reattach. ;)

Good luck.

Leon

Thanks guys. Maybe even better if I have it on a rack and go from the underside.

cruzer82,

Hope this helps:

The a/c drain condensate drain clogged on my 1999 C5 coupe, causing water to backup into the passenger footwell and enter the computer compartment. Water followed the computer wiring and entered it, ruining it and immobilizing the car. I was out-of-state on vacation, and the car was repaired under the new car warranty. It was out-of-service for five days.

You can reach the rubber drain elbow from underneath the right front of the car while the engine is cold. Use a jack stand if you raise the right front with a jack.

You can see the rubber elbow exit the firewall, behind the right engine head. You can use a small "tack puller" type screwdriver to help you remove the rubber elbow from the plastic nipple the protrudes from the firewall. There is not much space but you can remove the elbow if you are patient and the engine is cool.

Remove the elbow, clean it out, and cut off the nipple end. You will see that it is moulded into a small opening, which is prone to clogging and doesn't drain fast enough during high humidity.

I used a small amount of dielectric silicone grease on the inside of the rubber elbow (plastic nipple mounting end) to help me replace the elbow.

You MUST clean this drain or you will severely damage your computer and other components such as the HVAC blower motor when the water backs up.

Good luck - this is a common design flaw that Chevrolet has ignored on the C5.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom