Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Acrylic Targa Top:Burning question

S

sothpaw

Hey guys,

I have a burning C4 question:

Does anybody know of a place that can
refurbish my see-thru Acrylic targa top?

--Top is not cracked or damaged. But the
finish looks awful, has the appearance of
paint that is shot.

--I know this has got to be a common C4
problem, my co-worker's car has the same
issue. Comes from Sun exposure over time.

--I don't want to spend $400 for a replacement
targa. That would be appropriate if the
top were cracked but it's not.

You can try polishing it with a high speed buffer and good clear coat paint safe style polish. Many have gotten good results from wetsanding it with ulta fine 2,000 plus grade wet sand paper with a dap of liquid soap, then chasing it with a high speed buffer cutting down to a finer and finer buffing compound and pad.

There are services that will replace the top shell, but it is expensive.

I have never wetsanded mine, but I have buffed them with acceptable results.

I wet sanded and buffed mine came out great, email me if you want to try I'll tell you how to do. Jim

Thanks guys,

I had read that {buff and wet sanding
as the answer} before in a previous
thread. However, I assumed in that
thread they were talking about painted
tops.

So buffing (and maybe wet sanding) is
the right thing for an acrylic (see-thru)
targa?

Do you think I can rent a buffing tool
some place? I here buffing is a back-
breaker if done by hand and that is all
I have.

You can buy a buffer/grinder from the local WalMart or Home Depot for $50 or less. You will want to look up a professional automotive paint supply store to get a good quality stick it velcro backed buff pad attachment and buffing pads along with high quality buffing compound and ultra fine wet sanding paper.

I would suggest a dab of dish washing soap in the bucket of water for your wetsanding to help lubricate it and keep is wet. Run plenty of water on, and buff down from more corse to less.

Yes, the responses here have all been for the see through tops.

I tried to post how to refinish you top . This only works on tops that the clear coat is peeling or light scratches. There wasn't enough room to post in the reply section . If you email me Deforrest@kyw.com I'll email you the procedure. Jim

Guys,

So the object of buffing the top is
to remove any light scratches in the
clearcoat? I didn't realize the Acrylic
top had clearcoat.

--It sounds like I will follow the same
procedure I would to buff out scratches
in the paint.

--I was goint to use 3M Finesse it machine
polish for the paint. Bottle says to use
"an air or electric buffer equipped with a
3M Wool polishing pad."

if its a painted top, you can wet sand and buff it out. If its clear/transparent top, there is no clearcoat. You can wet sand it also and buff it out. sand with at least #1000 grit or finer on both, use power buffer with 3M rubbing compound. If your trying to get rid of all the little spider cracks you can see from the inside, there in the plexiglass itself and are permanent, has to be replaced. On mine, im not that interested is seeing out the top (it does come out) so instead of replacing glass, I went to fabric store and bought a yard of vinyl to match my interior and glued it to inside. Nice custom headliner, it can even be padded if you want. Cost $7.00. I have my own body shop, and fixed lots of scratched and damaged plastic windows, mostly the picture windows in custom vans.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom