Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adding gasoline on a hot day - FYI

Ruby Fan

Corvette
1985 Black Beauty Coupe, 93 Ruby, 96 CE vert
On a recent trip, in my '85, I was going thru the Carolinas & Va, when I decided to top off my gas tank. Now the outside temp was close to 100 degrees, my '85 was running great, did about 100 miles and decided to top off. I should have been able to put in about 5 gallons. I opened the gas cap and an extreme amount of vapor started to come out, so much so that the little metal flap at the top of the neck was rattling from the vapor escape!! I never saw anything like that before, I know that at times you can hear the vapor escaping, but this was a bit unusual. I thought I had waited long enough, so I started to pump in gas: not happening!! The flow of the gasoline into the tank actually splashed back out like a geyser!! I just couldn't add gas to the tank. I am guessing that the heat of the vapor in the tank rejected the oncoming gasoline. The vapor was so intense it acted like a barrier. The splashing out was an obvious danger. Luckily I just got a splash of gas on me. The car was fine and runs great. Just to keep you informed that when you decide to top off on a hot day, wait until you have half a tank instead.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom